1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the ancestry.com site

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Nov 7, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Has anyone else tried this? I've been seeing the commercials on and off, so i tried it. In about a week, I've already got my family back five generations and my (soon-to-be) wife's family back five.

It's almost addicting trying to find the next link and/or branch to the tree.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Use it quite a bit for baseball research, actually. Not sure it's worth $100/year if you're not going to use it regularly, but the trial version is pretty sweet if you devote an intense week or two to looking up your family history. I found about a dozen obscure articles about my grandfather from the 1950s when he worked in civil defense in California. A lot of WWII registration cards are housed there. Lots of other neat archives, too.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

My father's a published genealogist, and I know he finds the site useful. That being said, you have to use it enough for the site to be worth the price.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did the trial one a few years ago. Traced my roots back, i think, 14 generations.

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

Many public libraries subscribe and you can use it for free on their computers.

6. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Still subscribe to both Ancestry and NEHGS, but wish they'd been around in their current form when I researched and wrote our family genealogy 10 years ago. I was glad I still had it over the summer, when the PFRA compiled an almost-complete list of AAFC players' vital statistics. (Think we only lack info for two now? Not bad for a league that went out of business almost 60 years ago.) Even helped me track down the son of Sam Cordovano, the original owner of the Buffalo franchise, for a friend writing a book on the AAFC Bills.

And budcrew, it can certainly be addicting. Whenever I speak on the subject, I compare it to a jigsaw puzzle ... except you don't know what the picture is going to look like, and you know you'll never find all the pieces. That can make it frustrating, or fascinating.

Here's another good (and FREE) one, courtesy of the LDS Church: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's great. Got to your local library if they have a subscription. So many more features than the free one.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've never met, nor been around my paternal grandfather, so I have absolutely no idea about his side of the family. I know his name and where he lives, but that's it. With that limited information, would the site be useful for me?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Try the two-week trial first and see what you can find. If you've got his years of birth and (if applicable) death, that will help narrow it down if he's got a common name. But if you dig hard enough, you might be able to find something to get you started.

One factor that will help is a lot of people have already created their own family trees on Ancestry.com, so if you find somebody who has helped fill in the gaps of your paternal family's side, they might have already done a lot of the work for you.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even know the names of my grandparents on my father's side. How does anyone go back 5 generations?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't know his DOB, and he has about as generic name as one can have.

Don't even know if I want to. When I called him to tell him his son was dying, he said, "OK," then hung up.

I've always thought about it. But then again, I don't want to know I'm related to the sonuvabitch.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I've always wanted to do this, but the money is too much. Anyone who is registered that would be willing to do mine for me and I'll drop you a few bucks that would be cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted