1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amish will take over Pennsylvania! And then Ohio, and then Indiana...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Exactly how many construction firms are going to be down with you not using any power tools, Bobcats, pickups, etc.?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No Nevada? I figured they'd have set up shop somewhere near Reno by now

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When peak oil happens and our electrical grid begins to fail, the Amish will rule the world.

And is that weekly newspaper published on an old-fashioned hand-cranked printing press?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's small handyman-type jobs, not raising an office building.

The Amish are very savvy about how to exploit business niches. They grow all sorts of oddball crops that have a small and passionate following (not coca or poppies -- I said small following). Unfortunately, the flip side is that they also operate some of the puppy mills that bring diseased, in-bred dogs to your local pet store. I once saw a billboard in backcountry northern Indiana that advertised "dog loans."

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

On a somewhat related note, I saw Witness on cable the other day. I've seen the movie several times but I just noticed that Viggo Mortensen has a small non-speaking role as one of the Amish.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have Amish communities up here--the Mennonites.

Their way of life can vary from house to house, community to community.

Some (like the Old Order Mennonities) eschew ALL modern amenities including electricity, running water and the internal combustion engine.

Some allow electricity to the barn but not the house.

Some allow automobiles as long as they're black and stripped of all chrome.

We used to pass this Mennonite church on the way to our cottage--it's near Kitchener-Waterloo (Jim Balsillie country), about an hour from Toronto. The church has hitching posts for the horses

[​IMG]

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't know about that, but for some strange reason it's online (for all 10 Amish who browse the Internet, I guess).

http://www.thebudgetnewspaper.com/

They take Visa and Mastercard. Wouldn't those be considered modern conveniences that the Amish eschew?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems the coverage isn't limited to the Amish, and you won't find their letters online ...

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, how many of your papers run The Amish Cook? For those who don't, it's written by an Amish woman, and it's a lot of what Caleb & Jededidah & Mordecai & Carl & Elizabeth were up to on the farm this week before getting to whatever recipe she shares. When my wife worked at the Times of Munster as a part-time features editor, she had one immediate instruction -- unless you want a reader riot, do NOT change ONE word of The Amish Cook.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Amish irony:

[​IMG]

(note free internet sign at left)

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

A Mennonite construction crew built my parents house. They drove, used power tools and were incredibly efficient. Really good folks.

12. I spent some of my high school years in a town near a lot of Amish. To this day, the funniest story I've ever heard was my friend telling me about stealing a buggy without any real knowledge of how to drive one. As mean as it sounds, I don't remember laughing any harder than that day - and that was some 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted