1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, she could be a spy, but not one of the "illegals." They worked with actual Americans sometimes, such as Gregory.

But, I don't think she was a spy. I think the purpose of the character was to be another example of when you are in that work it poisons every aspect of your life.

Gutter likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would be a tough timeline for Renee to be a second-generation sleeper, based on the years in which the show is set and her age.
    Two things to consider with Renee, one of which is just mentioned by Jake:
    • There is nothing overt in the show that indicates that she's a spy, yet Phillip is suspicious, now Stan is suspicious and we, the audience, is suspicious. It is definitely a way for the show to demonstrate that this line of work infects your life and thinking.
    • She might be an agent but not be Soviet.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to insinuate that she was a "second-generation."

I just used Claudia's scene --- which happened to introduce the second-generation idea --- to indicate that, as a first-generation illegal, Renee could never pass the background checks necessary to join the FBI, etc. Phillip said she might be "one of us", which I took to mean "first-generation Soviet illegal."

All that being said, Stan's in a pretty good position to find out for sure. P&E had no relatives (no parents, one fake aunt, etc.). Who attended Stan and Renee's wedding? If he has met Renee's parents, siblings and other assorted relatives, that would point to her being a regular American. If everyone has mysteriously died already or live hundreds of miles away and there's no one to meet . . . uh-oh.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's just the entire suspicion thing about Renee that is interesting to me, though.
    I want to know what the show did to create this subtext of suspicion around her - lighting, music, etc. There is nothing overt. It must be so subtle.
    Or maybe to an industry person it is simple, but to me it is really intriguing how they can manage that.
    The craftsmanship and artisanship is very impressive to me.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I thought the last scene with her confirmed it--although I always believed it--after Stan leaves she watches and they specifically show the feds taking out boxes of evidence. She gets a look and turns and walks away with a purpose. I somehow missed the fact that they got married. Did they show it or just say that they had done it.
    I also think Paige goes back to the safe house, has that drink and waits for someone to contact her regarding the next mission.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Here is what the actress says...

“I kind of felt like Paige was doomed,” she said of her character. “I felt like she was going to have to live in a cabin in the woods for the rest of her life, you know, just hide out and change her name or something, but watch Henry from afar. But then, [finale director and executive producer] Chris Long always reminds me that the Cold War all kind of collapsed and crumbled not too long after this happens in our story. So maybe there was some relief there for her and she did get to reunite with at least her brother, and maybe see her parents again. Or maybe she doesn’t want to see her parents again. It’s all so open-ended. That’s what’s crazy about it, but it’s still sad.”

When I asked her where she thinks Paige probably is five to ten years after the events of the finale, she had an immediate answer.

“I think she’s probably not really talking to her parents, only concerned about Henry, probably staying as far away from the U.S. government as possible,” she said. “I don’t think she would even want to have a job in the State Department like she was planning on, because it’s like all that has kind of ruined her life in a way. Maybe she wants to get away from it — become an author of some spy thriller novel and just drink her vodka alone, with some cats. She probably has some cats.”

7. BTExpress

I'm pretty sure it was referenced in an offhand sort of way (I seem to remember Stan and Phillip talking about husbands and wives working together when Stan told Phillip about Renee wanting to work at the FBI. Stan knew Phillip could relate because Elizabeth "worked" at the travel agency). Remember, there was a three-year time jump.

Heh. Saw a short interview with Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys in which they talked (jokingly) about series finale endings that never got off the ground. One of them was Paige changing her name to Monica Lewinsky, and . . . .

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm an always-late-to-the-party guy -- watched Sopranos two years after it ended; Justified two years after it ended, latecomer to GoT -- so just last week started watching The Americans. On this thread, have only read the early pages because I'm only through season 2. But...fucking love it. And can't wait to see the final four seasons. Will keep returning to this thread after I finish each season to catch up on when you guys were watching in real time. But won't read any replies to this post in case someone accidentally spills something!

Also, since seeing the premiere, I've found myself searching for, and watching, like 15 versions of USC band and cheerleaders performing Tusk, all because of its use in the show.

9. BTExpress

Spoiler alert: Никто не умирает в последнем эпизоде.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

All right, wrapped this up and now read back on a lot of pages. Going through withdrawals now so watching interviews with Rhys and Russell -- so cute together! -- and clips from the show on YouTube. Loved the finale and bought that Stan would let them go (for instance, he thinks Gregory killed Amador so that's not a death he's looking to avenge anymore, though why he'd buy Philip's suggestion he doesn't do these things anymore after he left and two people went to Chicago is a bit more of a stretch). Philip manipulated him so perfectly with his puppy dog eyes, mix of truth and lies, playing on the emotions of all that time they did spend together as best friends, that I got why Stan did it. And I was happy he did! Even though they were awful, awful, awful people who deserved jail or death. Yet I loved those damn Soviets.

I would like a Mail Robot spinoff.

I'd watched Billions before this and it took me like 3 seasons to realize Dollar Bill is Pastor Tim. Great job in both roles.

Poor fucking Martha. And Young-Hee. And everyone else the Jennings' ruined (and killed of course).

Reading reviews online seems like Season 5 was the least-favorite of many and was my least-favorite but I still enjoyed it, primarily because of the incredible performances throughout the show.

I think I need Season 7.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted