1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Funny that Elizabeth commented that Henry was taller than Phillip, to which Phillip responded, "Almost."

My thought: Henry's been taller than Phillip for about two years, it seems.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She's burnt and overwhelmed. In the scene the background music swells so it's almost hard to hear general speaking. She can barely comprehend so it's almost muffled.
    It's the first time (that we've seen) when she's be directly asked to be involved in something that pitting internal Russian forces against one another. This is an internal Russian dispute, not working against the US.
    And it is against the regime that is, at least, nominally in power. She's being assigned to a coup, and it is overwhelming.
    Also the first time she's being told directly that she has to commit suicide if captured.

For all of Gorbachev's failures, I'd say he was on the right side of history.
    At the very least, I think it's a stretch to put the Soviet old guard on the right side of history.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thought.

4. BTExpress

She also couldn't string two convincing sentences of Russian together, so the writers let her off the hook by having her say "Да" a couple of times and just sit and listen. :)

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

that is good. I hadn't thought of that.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I thought she and Philip weren't supposed to speak Russian at all so as not to draw any suspicion. Or am I confusing the show with something else I've seen or read? I was surprised she could follow along even, let alone speak.

7. BTExpress

They were in Mexico City, if that makes any difference. Struck me as odd, though.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think it makes sense she wouldn't say much, both because of the exhaustion and because she wouldn't really want to tip her hand in that situation. What if it was some kind of a trap or test?

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just watching the start.

The Phillip/Elizabeth interactions in the first few minutes feel like the last two years of my marriage. Yikes.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No one dug a hole. Already better than last season.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

This could play out as the season goes, but Elizabeth may be reserved because she doesnt know this guy. He has no credentials. Could be any American or Westerner who speaks Russian for all she knows. If the meeting didnt come from the center she has to be trained to be skeptical even if she went

12. BTExpress

Very unrealistic that Elizabeth could have avoided getting shot in that situation. Gun is cocked and aimed right at her.

Shouldn't have lied about the sex thing, either. Paige is in college and reading up on this stuff. "Yeah, we spy and steal and kill to get what we want . . . but no sex." Just say, "yes, it happens sometimes" and water it down as much as possible if Paige invariably asks, "Did you ever?"

She's accompanying you on these cases. She's the age you were (if not older) when you were undergoing spy training. You've told Claudia that Paige could continue on in the event something happens to you. YOU DON'T NEED TO LIE TO HER ANYMORE.

Critics still gushing every time they see Mail Robot. I don't get it.

Haskard is listening to a Braves-Giants baseball game (last game of the regular season, according to one critic). Since when were Braves radio broadcasts heard in Washington DC?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted