1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There was a pretty interesting interview with the show runners last year. They said they really weren't that concerned with the audience understanding every detail of the missions as they watch it the first time. They feel like the show works as long as you get a sense of the stakes.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't recognize William. I didn't recognize Hans.

God, I'd make a crappy spy.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I found this with The Sopranos and Game of Thrones as well, but The Americans seems like a good show to watch with the subtitles on. That way, you can keep names and governmental agencies straight.

4. BTExpress

I tend to do that almost by default these days. I'm either watching TV while wife is playing the piano or after she has gone to bed. So sound is usually very low.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Adding to the chorus here - I will binge watch the whole season in advance of the final or final two episodes of the season. Otherwise, I get way too antsy about things. That's been my method for things I'm pretty sure I'm going to love - True Detective, The Americans, The Good Place, etc.

6. BTExpress

Was looking at the beginning of this thread and came across ...

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If we took shots every time someone on this board claimed a show was some variation of being unwatchable, some of us would be dead.

Webster likes this.
  8. BTExpress

True. I've never found "Survivor" watchable. And it'll probably wind up being on longer than "Gunsmoke."

9. BTExpress

So the CIA is basically going to ruin Oleg after he did a wonderful thing.

And the Americans are trying to finish off what Hitler tried to do in Leningrad for 900 days.

Sounds about right.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Martha!

So who snaps first: Paige or Tuan?

Ace likes this.
  11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great cameo by Svetlana the one-legged nurse from The Sopranos as the Moscow grocery manager.

Joe Williams likes this.
  12. BTExpress

If/when Tuan snaps, there's gonna be a lot of collateral damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted