1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Still top of the line with me, Vers. The characters just keep getting deeper and deeper.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Keri Russell was excellent in "Comint." Let's just hope she doesn't shave her head in a cheap attempt to deepen the character between seasons.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am caught up through five episodes and continue to love the show.

I don't find myself rooting for the bad guys (other than the fact that if they get caught the show is pretty much over), except a little "Wake up and come on over to the winning team" way of thinking. I grew up when the biggest boogie man there was was the Soviets and especially spies. I've shouted at the TV already during the series at the Americans selling secrets.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I am absolutely rooting for Elizabeth and Phillip, but not the Soviets as a whole.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for them in the sense that I wouldn't want their kids to wake up one morning with their parents missing only to find out they were Soviet spies and everything about their life is a lie. Can you even imagine what that would be like? I'm rooting for them not to start or do things that prevent World War III (which is kinda easy since we know they don't). I'm rooting for them to eventually defect.

It makes me wonder, are there old people living in the US today that used to be these people. Do you think that after the collapse of the USSR that these kinds of spies just went on with their fake lives but quit spying? It seems like Phillip would be able to do that, maybe gladly, but how would Elizabeth handle it?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's what makes it so easy to root for them and their successful missions. We know they lose in the end.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How long before Claudia 'rapes' Elizabeth?

8. Shoeless Joe

I don't really know what you're talking about, but I just had a mental image of Claudia with a big strap-on and honestly didn't need that.

9. Shoeless Joe

Now if Elizabeth wanted to extract some info from the FBI agent's wife or they needed her to get chummy with the embassy girl ..... well, that would be worth a look.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

????????

For all intents and purposes, a Russian spy reporting to Moscow in 1980 was still a Russian spy reporting to Moscow in 1991 and beyond. FBI made a big splash by apprehending 11 of them in June 2010. KGB just became the SVR (Служба Внешней Разведки).

Before there was Elizabeth Jennings, there was Anna Chapman.

NSFW
    http://www.sugarslam.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/anna-chapman-maxim-cover.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would tell her all my secrets.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know as much about the end of the Cold War as I should. So basically every member of the KGB just slid into the same role within the new government? Were all KGB agents Russian? What about Ukranians, Georgians, etc?

I wonder if they are going to go the Mad Men route and move the story forward a year or two between seasons and try to cover the entire decade? That would probably require recasting the kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted