1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, Vers. I don't recall that putting the world on edge. I was educated by this.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Don't get me wrong; the details were fascinating. But of course there was initial worry in the governments that World War III was starting. It was an assassination attempt on the president during the Cold War.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting/funny that the Russians thought, from their point of view, it was a coup because of Haig's comment.

And when the Dad said to his wife that when their leaders die, they won't know for weeks.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Haig at the podium "in charge here" is one of the great moments in modern American history.

Haig to reporter: "You need to read your Constitution, pal."

Reporter: "I just did, and it says the Speaker of the House is next in the line of succession."

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just got caught up through episode 3 (that's all that's on OnDemand right now because FX holds everything back a week; watched whole season of Sons of Anarchy on computer). I still like it. I get a little pissed when I see douchers selling the Soviets secrets even on a TV show.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

John-Boy is such a J Edgar Douche-Bag

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Renewed for 2nd season:

http://www.eonline.com/news/390569/the-americans-renewed-for-season-2-by-fx

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's really good in the role.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like how they are basically good well-intentioned people doing a job but every once in a while they have to kidnap or kill someone.

And they don't agonize over it. They just kind of pause, steel themselves and go on.

Good acting.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's taken me a few eps to get into The Americans, but I enjoy how much of it is unspoken. Separating the "spy" part of the couple from the "people" part of the couple. It's a take on the spy genre I don't really think I've seen on TV before. The unspoken past of all the characters that they are unspooling a little at a time. The pre-digital spy craft. But given the names involved (Everyone from Graham Yost to Adam Arkin, to Josh Brand and Thomas Schlamme) not really surprised.

11. To me, there are some Sopranos qualities to this show. For one, you're rooting for the bad guys, even if in hopes that they'll learn the error of their ways, as well as the secrecy/search for normalcy within the home. Only I think this has a chance to develop the other side, with the FBI agent across the street, in a way the Sopranos couldn't (or just didn't) do with the agents chasing Tony and the mafia. This is something The Wire did so well, in showing one subject from multiple angles and helping you understand why one way is so important to a particular side, and how a completely different way is just as important to someone else.

Those are two pretty heady comparisons, especially after four episodes, but this show is off to a really strong start.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No one had any thoughts on this week's episode? I thought it was the best yet, a very strong and direct look at the sexuality that is starting to define the show as much as the more traditional espionage.

Draft saved Draft deleted