1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heard WaPo TV critic Lisa DeMoraes on yesterday's Tony Kornheiser Show and she made a good point — this really should have been a mini-series. That way, they could have given these characters a plausible story arc, rather than having them narrowly avoid being caught each week so they can sustain the show for 4 or more seasons. You could say the same for Homeland.

That said, I really like it so far. I just worry it will run out of steam after about a season-and-a-half, if not less.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like this series quite a bit. I hope they have a defined story arc and don't mess with it.
    Run for one or two seasons, and let it resolve itself.

And there's plenty of character development. The characters are unfolding gradually as a result of the plot/story.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Keri Russel Scorecard:

Hot
    Cold
    Really cold
    Cold War cold
    Hot

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Got renewed for a second season.

Based on previews, looking forward to next week's episode.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just watched the first episode tonight and really like it. I like anything that has us against the Soviets. Growing up in the 80s, it's like old home week. The music on the show is killer.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have a feeling this show will be unwatchable by the fourth season, if it does make it that far.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Seeing both sides during the Reagan Assassination attempt was pretty cool.

I never really thought that day could have been filled with so much tension.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

What? You didn't think the possibility of not playing the NCAA championship game created tension?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There was an assassination attempt on a president's life in the middle of the Cold War. You didn't think that might put the world on edge?

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That our government would immediately suspect the Soviets was a no brainer for me, but I have to admit the idea that the Soviets would have assumed Haig was staging a coup hadn't crossed my mind. But I guess that was the point.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it might be easier for this show to keep it together for multiple seasons than Homeland. I don't think it requires quite as ridiculous level of suspension of disbelief to think they can keep going without getting caught.

On Homeland {SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN IT) a CIA analyst knew Brody was a terrorist from the first episode, then he was caught, there was a confession tape in the hands of the CIA and yet he was somehow still living his normal life at home because they were afraid to write Damian Lewis off the show. It makes absolutely no sense for him to be alive or at the very least locked up in a SuperMax somewhere.

With The Americans they can still go down a path that makes some sense, it will take good writing, but it's possible. Maybe they eventually defect and have the Russians after them.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Homeland really seems like the kind of show I would hate.

So does this, though. Part of me is watching out of the disbelief that they could turn this premise into a stable TV show. Even getting two good seasons seems like a stretch to me.

But I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I still enjoy Homeland. The first season deserved the praise it got and, for all the ridiculousness, the second season had some fantastic performances. The way they ended Season 2 also leaves potential for Season 3. But it went from a show build on a very compelling idea to one where you just have to turn your brain off and enjoy great acting.

My wife's mother's brother's wife's adopted sister didn't see Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors, but she is on the Homeland writing staff. After Season 1 we were all fawning over her and the show. This year everybody was joking about how we should ask her what the hell they were thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted