1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This show deserves its own thread.

It's as good as anything I have seen on TV.

From the acting, to the character relationships, to the plot, the period accuracy and the "fuck you, I'm eating your caviar," it is almost perfect.

Anyone else all in on this?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Watched Ep 1 and liked it...but will catch up with OnDemand or Hulu after sweeps.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with what you said, Devil. Great, quick development of the main characters. You become invested in them almost immediately.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The show made me realize I spend too much time on SportsJournalists.com when the Soviets started calling Reagan a mad man and the first thing that popped into my head was Starman, but I'm digging it.

The characters have lots of layers and it's fun to see them pulled back at times. I'm not convinced the G-man moving in across the street was a coincidence, even if it seems like he doesn't consider them suspects anymore. Reagan gets shot next week, which should be interesting. I posted in one of the other TV threads that I wish we could have seen Phillip's reaction to the Miracle on Ice, maybe in a flashback.

The producers have said they aren't paying as much attention to the period details as shows such as Mad Men because they don't want that to be the focus.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm one episode behind, liking it so far ... it has gotten a little slow, but I am going to hang with it for a while. I just read Sepinwall's book and he said his advice for The Wire was that people had to watch the first four episodes before giving up. Those cable shows do make the most of their time freedom.

But I could be biased, because I would watch a fully clothed Keri Russell read the tax code for an hour.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've enjoyed it so far.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have every episode on my DVR. Still haven't watched one. :(

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think he made him when they were eating caviar.

Most people would ask FBI agents annoying questions in that situation. I know I usually will ask something with friends I have that can only tell me so much.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought about the Miracle. That would be funny as hell if they worked it into a flashback at some point.

Even though it isn't the focus, they do seem to be doing a good job with the details.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Watched the first ep. Hooked. Got the other two on DVR. Will hopefully catch up this weekend.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think they are doing a fine job setting the tone of early 80s, but I've read some complaints about things like Elizabeth wearing Guess jeans a year or two too early and stuff like that.

I think as a hockey fan and a man finding he kinda likes being an "American," I think deep down in his gut Phillip might have been taken some joy in the Miracle. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if his reaction was what prompted Elizabeth to voice her concerns to the General.

Devil, that's an interesting thought about the caviar. I thought Phillip put the FBI neighbor's doubts to rest when he pretended he didn't really like it, but maybe it wasn't that simple.

I think there is a lot of potential with the FBI guy, whose name I can't remember, and his wife. Maybe they aren't really living the normal suburban life his wife thinks they finally are and he's still in deep, getting close to suspected spies. Maybe the Soviet spies with the fake marriage are the ones in a more honest relationship.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you're obviously not that hooked.

The second and third episodes came together much more cleanly than the pilot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted