1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race (Season 16)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 7, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I thought those comments put a damper on the whole season. Maybe it was just trying to stir the pot because there wasn't much controversy, but it was a wet blanket on a million-dollar moment.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Worst. TAR. Finish. Ever.

Subpar season all around -- particularly in terms of challenges. The final challenge should be ass-busting tough, not "hang the posters in the right order." Just one of many complaints I had about what is my favorite reality show of all time.

Hope they open the wallets and get a little, no, a LOT more adventurous next year. I wanna see very strange and exotic places, not Shanghai!

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I thought it was more about closure than anything else. We would have been left wondering what happened if they didn't show any kind of interaction between the two teams.

I saw on another message board that people were upset because Dan and Jordan moved to first class midway through the flight and thought that since they did so, that means they cheated. Even though others kept telling them the rule was that they only couldn't buy first-class tickets, that was unacceptable to them.

Makes me think that the cowboys were one of the most-loved teams ever, and they'll be back on another all-stars show sometime soon.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I still think TAR would be smart to do a "Pit Stop" show, say, somewhere near the end, giving more info and a real look through and explanation of the pit stops, as I suggested last season. (Can't believe a show executive hasn't thought of this, or that CBS wouldn't think it'd be a good idea).

There have been some really great and unusual/interesting pit stops -- things that people have either never heard of, or heard a lot of but would never see unless they get special passage (as these contestants do), and virtually all of them are significant in some way.

I'd love to know more about them, and see them in some depth, even if it's only a few minutes' worth of time spent on each one, giving a little tour and more information/history, or showing us any special things the contestants might have done, or that might have happened while they were in each place.

Like TigerVols, I'd like to see the show open the pocketbooks a little bit more, too, only, for the second- and third-place finishers.

It's really anticlimactic to think of and see those contestants -- who did and went through all the same things as the winning team and lasted just as long, and, in some cases like this one, one of those teams actually dominated overall as compared to the winners -- and they get to the finish line and get...eh, nothing (except some applause and a pat on the back from Phil).

The show ought to give, say, $100,000 for second place and $50,000 for third place.

That way, everybody who should probably get something, does so, and the gap between winning "the experience," and winning "the experience, plus a million bucks" perhaps won't feel quite so glaring, or, in some cases, feel wrong.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe all the contestants get some prize money or appearance fees. After all, it would be difficult to get people to take that long off work for free. (Aside from the free travel, I guess.)

As for the pit stops, I've seen interviews where TAR teams have been asked about them, simple things like, "Do you do laundry? What, exactly, are in those huge backpacks when we see you wearing the same thing the whole race?" And the answer is usually something along the lines of how they can't answer that because of non-disclosure contracts.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Phil said the race was 23 days last night so its not like people are away from work for weeks. I assume the contestants also get paid scale for being on a primetime show.

7. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Oh my gravy, what a disappointing ending. If I had to hear the younger brother say "bro" one more time, I was going to huck my remote into the TV.

"I love you bro"
    "Don't drop it bro"
    "You're doing great bro"

Augh.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I have the feeling another All-Star season is around the corner and as long as they aren't filming during the late summer/early fall or in December, the cowboys better be on it.

I hope next season they do another trip to Africa. I always find the African legs really enjoyable.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

That bitch should go to Vermont and marry Rosie O'Donnell. Talk about compatibility partners.

10. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Caite was by no means a saint, but those lesbians were bitches beyond belief. Also, in reading through the application process, I don't think you can have a real job at all. By applying, you agree to an interview in LA that may last from 1 -12 days for the prospective interview. Then the show? I dunno.

Draft saved Draft deleted