1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Was thinking for awhile that they were going to wear out whatever button they press to play that ominous "you screwed up" sound effect.

Wenders and bumpy mcgee like this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

No kidding. At first, I wasn't sure exactly where the "marked boats" they were trying to find were and I thought that big platform was a ferry and not at all what they were looking for.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I watch "The Amazing Race" for the show itself, so I don't usually get THAT into our little pool.

I just like to be part of it, along with others like-minded people who also like the show and its concepts. Although I would like to win it once.

And, I have to admit, it's kinda depressing to have my team be out of it already. Surprisingly so, even.:(:)

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Amazing Race is supposed to air two episodes tonight but I'm seeing there will be just one because of election coverage. I'm recording both hours anyway.

'Election Night 2' Coverage: What's Preempted on Wednesday Night?

CBS in turn has trimmed The Amazing Race from a double episode to just one hour, which will air at 8 pm everywhere. (On the East Coast, election coverage will air at 10 pm, leading out of a S.W.A.T. rerun; on the West Coast, news coverage will air at 7 pm.)

5. Wenders

Yes, looks like hour two was SWAT from the 9/8 slot.

The youth orchestra was so awesome! I figured Kaylynn and Haley between the lost taxi and the 4 hours of building the cello were still pretty far behind Gary and DeAngelo. I'm glad the NFLers finally got their pyramid. Also reaction of the night goes to Aparna and Eswar finding out they were in fifth place.

And good lord, can my team stop being annoying?! So you were U-turned, shut up, it's how the game is played.

Pool update:
    TigerVols - Hung | Chee - 52
    Huggy - Will | James - 50
    WolvEagle - Riley | Maddison - 28
    Iron_Chet - Michelle | Victoria - 26
    Inky_Wretch - Aparna | Eswar - 20
    MTM - Gary | DeAngelo - 18
    Wenders - Alana | Leo - 18
    nietsroob17 - Kaylynn | Haley - 15
    *WriteThinking - Jerry | Frank - 10
    *bumpy mcgee - Kellie | LaVonne - 4
    *Nathan | Cody - 1

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. Wenders

If you rely on your DVR, check and make sure yours is recording tonight. Because of the change in schedule for the election last week, I saw on reddit that some people's Tivos didn't register this week's ep as new.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  8. Wenders

Speaking as someone who has done a fair amount of baking, can confirm, whipping cream by hand is very exhausting.

Also, the pie throwing scene...THAT IS A WASTE OF PERFECTLY GOOD PIE.

And good lord, after so long in the car, GET OUT AND FIND SOMEONE FOR DIRECTIONS. I honestly cannot believe that the Blondies made it because Michelle and Victoria decided to drive in circles around Paris for 6 hours.

Pool update:
    TigerVols - Hung | Chee - 59
    Huggy - Will | James - 55
    WolvEagle - Riley | Maddison - 46
    *Iron_Chet - Michelle | Victoria - 27
    Wenders - Alana | Leo - 24
    Inky_Wretch - Aparna | Eswar - 23
    MTM - Gary | DeAngelo - 22
    nietsroob17 - Kaylynn | Haley - 17
    *Nathan | Cody - 1

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I finally won one!!! (OK, so it was the team, but still ...). And Wenders is right - Michelle and Victoria deserved to be eliminated after that bonehead move. With being in the car that long, they surely had to stop to use the bathroom and get gas more than once. They could have easily asked for directions.

Thanks for posting the profile, MTM - that was a pretty cool story.

10. Wenders

For anyone wondering exactly how close Michelle and Victoria were, someone on Reddit who used to live in Paris posted a thread on where they were. For most of the time, they were literally one right turn away from being there.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's astonishing how often stick-shift driving and getting lost factor into The Amazing Race.

Michelle and Victoria themselves kept saying how they knew they were within a kilometer or two of where they needed to go, but they just couldn't find the place or figure out where they were going wrong. I felt bad for them, though. Paris is not a place I'd want to be driving around, myself, especially in a race, if I wasn't familiar with it. Heck, we've seen how often even taxi drivers get lost, although I'm sure the Paris regulars probably know their city well.

12. Wenders

Please tell me Chee is not helping the kids with the history homework.

That car was Wenders sized. Also, sign the pool runner up for beer yoga!

How many times is your team gonna be saved, @nietsroob17??

Glad to see Gary & DeAngelo finally win a leg. Them, the boyfriends, the parents and the volleyballers are the clear front-runners, but this feels like a season where a bad leg could doom a team because they're all pretty event.

Pool update:
    Huggy - Will | James - 76
    TigerVols - Hung | Chee - 69
    WolvEagle - Riley | Maddison - 58
    MTM - Gary | DeAngelo - 43
    Inky_Wretch - Aparna | Eswar - 28
    *Iron_Chet - Michelle | Victoria - 27
    *Wenders - Alana | Leo - 27
    nietsroob17 - Kaylynn | Haley - 21
    *Nathan | Cody - 1