1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: The Amazing Race -- 2012-2013 All-Purpose Thread

WEEK 1 SCORING:

Drew Wilson 21
    MTM 10
    TigerVols 9
    IJAG 8
    Huggy 7
    Inky_Wretch 6
    LieslnTx 5
    WolvEagle 4
    Wenders 3
    Jay Farrar 2
    * beanpole 1

* = Team has been eliminated from TAR

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The tall dude and his short best friend are from Michigan, right? I'm just guessing.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am also convinced that a lot of thsoe teams had no idea what an abacus was.

Rob and Sheila discuss getting gassed in the first leg:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Rob-Sheila-1054093.aspx

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's one of the Discovery Network channels. Ambitious original programming at first, but now it just recycles Whale Wars and Survivorman and Frozen Planet.

5. imjustagirl

Y'all, for the record, I'm battling a case of bronchitis. Going to bed at 9 so I can try to get nine hours sleep before a return to the office tomorrow morning.

I'll score the episode tomorrow after work. That's when I'll have a chance to watch both TAR and Dexter. :)

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm sad for the couple that left because it was a case of bad taxi drivers completely screwing them. The twins really impressed me this leg, along with my couple.

Just curious...if you were running the Amazing Race, would you feel comfortable (especially in the first few legs) to take a flight that NO ONE else is on and run the risk of either getting a huge lead or a huge deficit? I would almost say that for the first half of the race, it's almost safer to take a flight that everyone else is on, so that way, any delays affect everyone and all you have to do is beat one other team.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Wenders - I agree with you. That was a huge gamble that could have easily knocked them out of the game, but they recovered.

I really thought my guys were toast because the short guy couldn't blow the balloons. Then again, I probably would have done just as bad.

And, at the end, I'm sure Phil really appreciated being hugged by the twins, then having to stand there, reeking of fish while everyone else came to the mat. He was a good sport about it. He probably changed clothes as quickly as he could once taping was done.

8. imjustagirl

WEEK 2 SCORING:

Drew Wilson 28
    IJAG 28
    TigerVols 13
    Wenders 12
    * MTM 11
    Inky_Wretch 11
    LieslnTx 11
    Huggy 10
    Jay Farrar 10
    WolvEagle 6
    * beanpole 1

* = Team has been eliminated from TAR

Holy shit is the tall half of the best friends pair a raging asshole. I don't know if he's Gary or Will, because I have friends with both those names and I don't want to associate that dickweed with a friend's name.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Gary is the tall one.

10. imjustagirl

That's mean after I said I didn't want to know. :D

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I hate non-elimination legs, but I was hoping for one Sunday, and not just because my team went out. I wanted to see how well Amy did with her prosthetics. She and Daniel want to be there, while Mutt and Jeff have already given up.

Wenders, you are right, stay with the pack. When the two teams got to the ice house together, my wife thought one should tackle the other task, but I said it's better to keep an eye on your opponent.

And finally, and I say this every season, I realize the necessity for equalizers, but I hate that a team can make a 4-hour mistake and only be penalized by being at the back of the line when everyone's at the same place and there's no skill in completing the task.

How about having the teams do the tasks in order they arrived by time. If you're last by four hours, you wait that long.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd approach it the way I approach a survivor football pool...you can't win it if you don't stay in it, so surround yourself with others (or, in the football pool, always pick the usuals early, like the Pats and the Giants.) And from what we know about TAR, there is no such thing as a huge lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted