1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Allman Brothers: New Book, New Live Album, Final Year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Gregg has been in seriously poor health for years.

There is no way to under appreciate Southern Rock. It IS music.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

l was so into the 'abb' from duane last couple of years on that I had my mom shouting 'dickey betts!' during 'rambling man.' dickey was brilliant in his own right but was overshadowed by duane, who freakin' overshadowed everyone. you folks love Clapton's 'layla?' Clapton had allman take the lead on all the best guiar licks. the guy was a genius, taken from us way too long. guess god wanted the best r&r band ever assembled so He couldn't resist pairing duane and jimi. selfish bastard!

more than 40 years later, 'live at fillmore east' remains the greatest 'live' album ever.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Fillmore East isn't the best live album ever it's near the top of the list. Just brilliant all the way through.

Shockey, the new book talks about Duane's involvement with Clapton and how Eric wanted him to leave the ABB. But one of the guys was quoted as saying that Duane didn't want to leave because the ABB was his band and his vision. One of the Dominos, believe it was Bobby Whitlock, said Duane played a few gigs with them but didn't really fit in onstage because they were so much different than what he was doing in the ABB.

And Layla is the greatest guitar album anyone is ever likely to make.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I like Clapton's standard line about who played what on Layla ...

"I played the Fender parts. Duane played the Gibson parts."

Draft saved Draft deleted