1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Allman Brothers: New Book, New Live Album, Final Year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 1, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Allman Brothers annual residency at the Beacon Theater in New York was interrupted by Gregg Allman's bronchitis. They're going to reschedule the shows, but there is some speculation that this might be the last year of the band as both Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks have announced that they will be permanently leaving the band at the end of the year to concentrate on their own projects.

The new live album is from their 1992 stand at the Beacon: http://amzn.to/1mwkeeH

And the book is by Alan Paul: http://amzn.to/1fb4e1n

WBEZ/NPR's Sound Opinions did a good interview with Paul on their last show, the interview starts at about 7:45

http://www.soundopinions.org/show/435

Hell of a band. Incredible that they've lasted so long, given all the problems, including the death of one of the best guitarists ever, just a few years into their existence.

They've had a couple of the best guitarists ever in their lineup over the years.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw them at the Beacon last year, truly a bucket list music event for me. Then we caught them at Darien Lake last August.

Massive Derek Trucks fan, saw him with his wife in Toronto last fall. Phenomenal guitarist. Warren Haynes is a great axe guy and singer too. And Gregg Allman is the greatest white blues singer ever.

The Allmans need Trucks and Haynes more than they need the Allmans, don't see much sense for them to go on without them.

Have the Alan Paul book on hold at the library.

3. YankeeFan

Yeah, I absolutely love Trucks. Have seen him play with the Allmans, Clapton, and his own band.

When I saw The Allmans in Houston a few years ago, they had Trucks and Gov't Mule as the two opening bands, and then each of them played as members of the Allman Brothers Band.

I can't see Gregg Allman quitting though, so he either continues on his own, or he goes out and hires a couple of new guitarists.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe Dickey Betts come back!

5. YankeeFan

I could see someone like Luther Dickinson signing up with the Allmans. He's no longer playing with the Black Crowes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe he has done a show or two with them at some point, you would definitely need someone to fill the Haynes role since Gregg doesn't sing that many songs anymore.

I never thought they could have ever adequately replaced Duane but Trucks has to be the closest thing there is/was to him. Would have loved to have seen him play with Clapton.

7. YankeeFan

He was a regular member of Clapton's band for a while.

Guy has been on the road nearly his whole life -- like constantly, for his whole life.

For a while he was in both Clapton's band, the Allmans, and his own band. He must have done 300 shows a year.

Now that he's married, and he and his wife have put together their own, single band, and their kids are getting older, I can see why he doesn't want to do that any more.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

He's touring this spring. I'm going to catch him.

I'm reading the book. No spoilers (HI DICK!) but good stuff.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

TTB was terrific when I saw them, I can see why he'd want his own band again and Susan is a powerhouse singer - and pretty good guitarist too. He's not working for Gregg or Clapton anymore.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Allmans are one of my favorites. I'm hoping they go ahead and shut it down. I don't want Gregg to keel over at the keyboard playing some state fair five years from now.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just finished One way Out.

Much of the ground had been covered in Gregg's book and Randy Poe's excellent Duane bio. (I have not read the new book by Duane's daughter.) I think this is likely to be the best look we are likely to get at the history of the band, covers all the highs and lows and the oral history format works well in giving everyone their say, even when they contradict each other or disagree.

Liked the mini segments throughout the book too.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps just my feeling but Southern Rock as a genre is under appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted