1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The alleged post-penal pastime of a dog-killing quarterback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 23, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

15.34? Seems a little high ...

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

There's no point in suing.
    There's no way Vick could prove damages. His reputation is such that reporting that he's at a strip joint doesn't lower it.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Couldn't he argue that he is in the process of trying to rehabilitate that reputation, and this erroneous report led to him having an even bigger hill to climb?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

If the commish gives him a conditional on his reinstatement, a shrewd mouthpiece could make that work to Vick's advantage in court.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why does he get credit for saying he is sorry? He only did that after lying to everybody about it failed.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He lied. He went to jail. He paid fines. What more do you want the guy to do? He says he's changed and has made amends by apologizing. Nothing is bringing the dogs back to life. Give the guy a chance to see if he has changed. I'd like to think that the message of dog fighting is bad has gotten through to him and to many others. Time to move on.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to come back, though a four-game suspension to start wouldn't bother me. I'm saying he deserves no credit for aplogizing.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Goodell is under no obligation to reinstate him, now or ever. Playing pro football is a privilidge, not a right. If my employer makes it a condition of employment to avoid places of ill repute, then they have every right to do so.

Vick has fulfilled part of his legal obligations (still has a suspended sentence from the state charges). But that doesn't mean he is automatically back in 'the club' of NFL players.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's cool but the guy has already been suspended. How much more blood does Goodell want? And I'm not a big Michael Vick fan but enough is enough.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually ... being a holy roller is no guarantee of morality ...

Draft saved Draft deleted