1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The alleged post-penal pastime of a dog-killing quarterback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 23, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Stupid is as stupid does, or latest Vick misstep

Alrighty. Then just for you.

[​IMG]

2. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Yo Starman, killing animals isn't murder.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, dude. But the whole point is he is supposedly trying to brownnose the commissioner to reinstate him. Is that the kind of behavior you want to be the first thing coming to mind?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

awesome.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

See, unless he's going to a strip club Pacman Jones style, I don't think there's any wrong with it and I don't think Goodell has a right to use it to negatively against him.

It'd be like Goodell saying he'd reinstate Vick but Vick clearly hasn't changed his ways because he had unprotected sex with his wife/girlfriend (I don't know what his marital status is).

As long as he doesn't go back to killing animals and he doesn't break any laws, what right does Goodell have to deny him the chance to play in the NFL if there is a team out there interested in him?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is an important topic. Whether Vick went to a strip joint is irrelevant at this point. The issue is libel law and the Internet. Much like newspapers, libel law hasn't caught up with the World Wide Web. Might this be a test case?
    I'm certainly not a member of the Michael Vick Apologist Society, which ignores several key facts of the case in the name of promoting Vick as Rosa Parks In Shoulder Pads. But if he proves he was hundreds of miles away from Virginia on Monday, I hope he sues these sites and wins big.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Schiez, one could make the argument that, if Vick in fact went to a strip club, behaviorally speaking it could be viewed as a shift from the exploitation of dogs to the exploitation of women. That said, the point wasn't whether there was necessarily anything wrong with going to a strip club. The point was that if in fact Vick went to a strip club, it was an ill-advised pursuit given his current state of affairs, particularly in light of Goodell's apparent disdain for the strip-club scene.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It could also be, as someone said, a violation of the terms of his probation, especially if the club serves alcohol. So it could, technically, be breaking the law.

9. being commissioner gives him the right

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

For Goodell to impose a conditional suspension is wrong. He thinks he's the second coming of Kenesaw Moutain Landis but he's more like boot hill. Let the guy play. He's done his time. He's said he's sorry. Nothing is going to bring the dogs back. It's a done deal. Time to move on.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

My bad. I was unaware of the Fozzie procedure and obviously missed the reference

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

In the case for Vick vs. The Big League, the jury finds proof of libel and awards Vick the following TBL assets -- one used Dell computer, a Dell scanner, a 1978 New York Yankees pennant, a Farrah Fawcett poster, the complete DVD Monty Python collection and $15.34 in loose change.

Draft saved Draft deleted