1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Allan Cup celebrates its Centennial (Warning: Hockey Thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Awarded to the Senior Men's AAA hockey team in Canada. I think it's the second oldest hockey trophy in Canada after Lord Stanley's Mug.

Most of the players (who don't get paid) were former pros.

I'm definitely excited to play in this," said Steven Rice, a right winger with the Brantford Blast, the host team and Major League Hockey champion. The Blast lost their opening game 3-2 to Shawinigan. You might remember Rice. He captained Canada's gold-medal winning 1991 world junior team, went 20th overall to the New York Rangers in the 1989 draft, and was one of the players going to Edmonton in the trade that sent Mark Messier to Broadway.

But eight concussions cut short Rice's NHL career in 1998. With 64 goals, 61 assists in 329 games, mostly with Hartford, Rice retired at 27.

"I just kind of felt like I left the game too early," said Rice. "So I still had a competitive bone in my body and I love playing pickup with my friends and all that stuff and having a few beers afterwards.

"(But when) you're used to a certain skill level, I really wanted to get back to playing some competitive hockey."

Tournament's in The Great One's home town, Brantford which is only an hour or so from Toronto.

Maybe I'll start bugging HC now about going. :)

My brother in law goes to the games in Dundas all the time. Says it's good, rough hockey. No goonery. You fight, you're kicked out.

Where the hell's Double J? He's the bigtime hockey historian around this place. I'm sure he has some stories.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I deal with Steve Rice quite often in his regular job, running the family insurance business. Damn good junior, tough guy too.

I asked him once about the '91 World Juniors in Saskatoon, where John Slaney scored a late goal to give Canada the gold (that tourney set up TSN as the broadcaster of choice for the WJC). I asked him if he was on the ice when that goal was scored (Lindros screened the goalie), and he scoffed saying that time of the game was for the skilled players, not plumbers like himself.
  3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've covered the tournament in person a couple of times (Unfortunately not this year, by my SE is there) absolutely great hockey. If you have a chance, get to Brantford and check it out.

I got to cover the Theo Fleury debacle in 2005 with Horse Lake when the Allan Cup was in Lloydminster. One of my favourite stories I've covered as an event. The atmosphere was amazing. Had all of the story lines going.
  4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I just wish the Western Ontario Athletic Association, which administers senior hockey in our part of Ontario, was eligible to send a team.

There's not a lot of goonery, but players are allowed to fight twice in a single game before they're given the heave-ho. That's the only major difference.....well, other than the budgets. It costs more than $100,000 to operate a team in the OHA, which is well beyond the price range of anybody in the WOAA.

And yet the top WOAA teams would still be competitive. Elora, Tavistock, Port Elgin....all of them could play with the OHA teams and do very well for themselves.

Of course, this being an Allan Cup thread, I have to mention that 57 years ago, Owen Sound won the Allan Cup when it still used a playdown system - four games to three over the Fort Frances Canadians. It was Owen Sound's second national championship in an eight-month period, coming on the heels of the 1950 Mann Cup (Senior A lacrosse) - and six guys played for both clubs. :)
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was there a Kazarian on either of those teams from the Sound?
  6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And the final is set: The Bentley Generals (From just North of Red Deer) vs. the home town Brantford Blast. Should be a good game. Brantford won the round robin game, but Bentley's offence has finally come around the last two games beating the defending Allan Cup Champions from Lloydminster and the Quebec champs from Shawinigan. I believe the game is also on TSN saturday (3 p.m. EST I believe) for those who can't make it to Brantford and want to watch or those opposed to paying 20 bucks to get in the door. If I'm awake I'll be watching from here in Alberta.
  7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And in case anyone is interested, the Brantford Blast won 3-1 over the Bentley Generals to win the 100th Alan Cup. Congratulations
  8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Harry, grandfather of Bryan Kazarian and father of Lumley-Bayshore manager Mark Kazarian, played on both teams.
  9. Flash

Flash Guest

Damn ... the Allan Cup totally blew my mind ... I would have watched.
  10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The first win for a southern Ontario team since.....Brantford in 1986-87.
  11. JR

JR Active Member

The Brantford Mott Clamatos.
  12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Corporate shills. :D

I can remember when Brantford's Junior A and Senior A teams were both called the Alexanders, after that Bell guy who invented something while living in that city.
Draft saved Draft deleted