1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The All-Star rosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Michael, it makes no difference to me. But let's not pretend it makes sense. As previously noted, if it's nothing more than "just an exhibition," then upper deck tickets shouldn't be going for three figures. Much less charging ridiculous prices to watch a home run derby. It isn't honest.

I do miss the days when the Red Sox were unimportant enough to send someone like Scott Cooper to an All-Star game.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They pack the joint, so while the prices are deranged by any sane measure, who said that there aren't more than enough village idiots and/or douchebags around or about, willing to pay any asked price for any product, service or spectacle which might strike their individual fancies?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Michael, I kind of like the idea that we get to take our sports seriously sometimes. It beats the shit out of worrying about school budgets and political misconduct.

Does it offend me that Tyler Clippard makes it and Drew Storen doesn't? Yes.

The same way that it offends me when my grocery store doesn't have my favorite enchiladas.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The tockets wouldn't gomfor that if people weren't willing to pay it. Really none of that makes any sense related to the selection process. It is an exhibition game, it still draws a high level of interest relative to other summertime sports happenings, and it isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. But to cast baseball as evil for high ticket prices to meet demand and sell out the stadium? I don't know what that has to do with anything.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Truck in the kids from the city, from the RBI programs, from the Boys & Girls clubs. It doesn't have to be about the doucherockets. And baseball doesn't need to make gate money on these events.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, but Michael's argument is the refuge of the baseball apologist when somebody dares to criticize something about the All-Star game. They just start blathering on about how it doesn't matter.

Baseball has the best All-Star game in sports. It isn't even close. People do care about it. Fans do care about it. And it is fun to debate who belongs and who doesn't.

But hey, anybody dares to say a word about anything in the grand old game, you will be there to return fire, right?

7. Herbert Anchovy

[​IMG]

"Every time I call it a game, you call it a business. And every time I call it a business, you call it a game."

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nice pull, but wasn't he talking to the coaches when he said that?

9. Herbert Anchovy

Yeah, couldn't find a precise screencap.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well then, your entire premise goes up in the smoke being blown up Mac Davis' ass there, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT?? ;)

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Here, on a sports journalism board, where people build entire careers out of taking sports seriously, I am amazed someone would talk about how it is just a game and it should not be taken seriously. Let me guess, the sports department at the local paper is just a playground, right? No real journalism going on there. Just a bunch of wannabe jocks writing about children's games.

Seriously, find somewhere else to post that crap.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not much anymore. There's no one left. And the ones that are left are too busy posting and blogging and tweeting and shooting video --- in addition to their meat and potatoes print duties --- to really investigate anything or take the time to do stories with real depth (which we don't have space for anymore, anyway).

Draft saved Draft deleted