1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The All-Star rosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's the fans' game. If they want to vote in Derek Jeter, I don't agree with it one shred, but whatever. It's who they want to see.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's a fucking exhibition game? If they want to watch Jeter flounder around out there, let 'em.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Yankees could have used Jeter floundering around today.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a weak shortstop crop, and off the top of my head, I'm guessing the only competitors were "good couple of month" guys like Cabrera and Elvis Andrus. (Is he having a good year? I'm just assuming.) So if the fans want a legacy guy, so be it. Jordan played in an all-star game as a Wizard, I think.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

RT

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 1963, Mickey Mantle hadn't played for several months with an injury. The PLAYERS voted him starting AL center fielder. It's not just fans. The idea that All-Star is a lifetime achievement award as well as a good half-season award has always been around and always will be. And on balance, I don't see why one is more valid than the other. Derek Jeter is a first ballot Hall of Famer. Fans know he's coming to the end of the trail. That's WHY they want to see him in the All-Star game. Won't get many more chances.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If this game is "for the fans," then how about letting them in to watch it at a reduced rate.

The roster expansion is necessary. Scott Kazmir has never been the same after he had to throw an inning in the '08 All-Star Game, in which Rays management preferred he not be used.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cal Ripken starting the 2001 All-Star Game was one of the coolest moments in the game's recent history. At the break he was hitting .240 with four home runs.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think Mike Schmidt was voted into the 1989 game despite having retired more a month prior.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mark Loretta was voted a starter in 2006.

Varitek chosen by the players in 2008.

Mike Williams made it for the Pirates in 2003 (with a 1-3 record and 6.44 ERA during the first half of the year as closer).

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Don't care if it is what the fans want to see...it was a stupid pick. And it is the 2011 All-Star Game, Steak, so I would say it should reward the player having the best year at that position. That would be Cabrera.

Draft saved Draft deleted