1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The All-Star rosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 3, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

who effin' cares? ??? ??? ???

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One more time: JETER WAS PICKED BY THE FANS!

No one here should be in any way surprised or dismayed that he was selected. This kind of stuff has been going on for decades, and Jeter this year is far from the most egregious example.

By the way, Cole Hamels and Matt Cain are both scheduled to start Sunday, so they'll be replaced. Writes the SF Chronicle's Henry Schulman:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=92446#ixzz1R57GZalY

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The fans have, yet again, proven they are too stupid to be trusted with the All Star vote.

4. Steak Snabler

Jeter has led AL shortstop balloting from the first day the votes were released. Everyone knew this was coming. To express outrage on the day the teams are announced is a little silly.

That said ... should Cabrera be rewarded for three consecutive good months in an otherwise middling career anymore than Jeter should be penalized for three consecutive bad months (OK, nine) in a Hall-of-Fame career?

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I was just stating a fact, not outrage.

6. Steak Snabler

Yeah, that was directed more at Carlton than you.

The game's for the fans. If the fans want to see Jeter, that's fine with me.

I can guarantee one thing ... two weeks from now, no one will really care.

(Yeah, I know the All-Star Game decides where Game 7 of the World Series is played. Wake me up when the World Series gets to a Game 7).

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

The fans got it right. they always do. why? the game is for THEM. that's why they get to vote for the starters. it's up to the managers/coaches/etc. to make up for their 'mistakes' thereafter. all-time greats either starting or getting names after they're deserving is a grand tradition of this all-star classic. ;)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's John David Crow, in no way, shape or form is he more an All-STAR than Sabathia. A rookie setup man having a real good season does not an All-Star make.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

A few things...

CC will be an All-Star. he was the next player selected on the player ballot, so he'll replace one of the AL pitchers who is starting Sunday (Verlander, Felix, Shields). Then whoever is 7th on the player ballot will replace CC.

I've gotta think that Ron Washington knew he didn't have to waste one of his picks on CC because he KNEW CC would be there by the player vote.

As for the fan voting, I think Jeter is the only egregious error. Mostly , the fans do a million times better job now than they did 15-20 years ago. Now you do most of hte voting online, looking right at the stats, instead of sitting in a ballpark punching holes in a piece of paper.

Also, I've been arguing all day that the managers should not get ANY say in picking the reserves. It's a simple conflict of interest.

The best way to do it is just to let the player vote determine all of the extras. If a team ends up without a representative... oh well.

(EDIT: Actually, you could do this to fill out the whole roster, and then if a team is left unrepresented, you could just have that team's manager nominate a guy and he'd be added, without taking another spot. Maybe cut the base rosters to 32 instead of 34, let the players pick them all, then once the extras are added, you might have 35 on one team and 36 on the other. Who cares if they aren't equal. Teams play the most meaningful games of the year in September with unequal rosters. It's a freakin exhibition. Oh, and get rid of that WS home field thing too.)

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On the selection show today, Ripken said the answer was to increase roster size. Yeah, because 34 players, plus injury and Sunday-starter replacements, isn't enough to get through one baseball game.

11. Devin

Devin Member

How Paul Konerko didn't make the AL roster should be investigated by Kenesaw Mountain Landis. #fakeallstarrage

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Uh, you don't have to give us little Twitter thingies on your posts.

As far as the fans' voting, I'm more impressed that they made the right call with Alex Avila than I'm bent out of shape about Jeter being there.

Draft saved Draft deleted