1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The All-Star rosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 3, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wins or no, LTL, CC was deserving. The faction that tries tp make CC look like some schlub is amusing

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is part of the conversation, but the test is was there anyone on there who shouldn't have been? Other than C.J. Wilson, who like Lincecum was undeserving but a manager's pick (and that always happens), there really isn't.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's the All-Star Game, not the All-Stats Game. CC is one of.the pitchers who causes a sensation, whom batters fear. And he has stats at or near the top of the league. Not having having him but having half-season wonders like Chris Perez or Brandon Crow on the team is a travesty

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's Aaron Crow, and having Aaron Crow on an all-star team is no travesty.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Probably right on Gordon, but no KC position player is going to make the team unless a) they return to mediocrity or b) put up steroid-era numbers.

As it is, I've got no problem with Crow. The kid's been lights out since the season started, and has easily been the most consistent reliever out of KC's uber-young pen.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Jeter should be nowhere near this game.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No shit, but the fans put him in, so there's nothing anyone can do about it (short of taking the vote away from the fans, I guess). The AL shortstop position as a whole sucks anyway.

Jeter and Polanco aside, I thought the fans did a pretty bang-up job this year. And if Zimmerman and/or Wright had been healthy, one of them would probably be starting in Polanco's place.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only the host team should be guaranteed a player on the roster.

Russell Martin got off to a good start, and has handled the pitching staff well, but he's hitting about .220.

Is the catching position in the AL so weak that he's deserving of a spot? Besides, for one game, do you really need three catchers?

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Should've thrown Polanco in there as well with the Jeter statement.

If Aramis Ramirez hadn't had a crappy start to the year, I think he might've gotten the nod at third. He's been murdering the ball lately.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To me, a questionable choice is Carlos Beltran (a past-his-prime player having a nice first half) over Andrew McCutchen (a budding young star on a surprising team that MLB should be trying to market).

Again, it's not a travesty, but McCutchen should be in this game. Beltran's had his day.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Forgot about McCutchen. He's one of our local kids. I agree with you 100 percent.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Agreed. How can Jeter start over Asdrubal Cabrera, who is first among American League shortstops in BA, HR, RBI, SLG and has had an incredible season with the glove. Total joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted