1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose WNBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think the league is marketed poorly.
    All these commercials saying "This is who I am ..." or somesuch.
    That shit's weak.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Different people view things different ways. Diversity rears its ugly head again :D

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, and you know I say this with the love that I have for any woman who admits to an interest in comic books as well as sports, I think you misunderstood the point of his post. Though maybe that was just him being unclear.

4. boots

boots New Member

OUTFUCKINGSTANDING AND TO THE POINT!

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Simmons: King of the teeeeeeeeeeeeny-peenis brigade.

All you have to hear is that shrieking yodeler talk one time to figure out what he's packin'.

Probably explains why his entire oeuvre of work has "13-year-old boy" written all over it. :D :D :D

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i covered a lot of wnba games when i was in the business. they were excruciatingly dull, although they made for a pretty easy day's work.

the wnba would work better if teams could play in intimate venues with 3-5K people.

7. boots

boots New Member

Of which most of those in attendance would be freebies.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, SC, I believe Rebecca Lobo and Lisa Leslie were also on board from the WNBA's beginning. I just remember that because all three were in that first "We Got Next" commercial.

If people ask me what I think about the WNBA, I tell them I really don't have any interest in it, but by the same token, I don't have any interest in the "MNBA" any more, either. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a right to exist, though.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

i've heard that our local WNBA team was losing something like $500,000 a year. that's about what their big brother franchise pays a second-round draft choice who averages 1.2 minutes a game as a rookie before getting cut midseason. $500,000 a year in the red for good PR and exposing millions of women to basketball. More than an acceptable loss I'd say.

10. Candace Parker can't come fast enough for the WNBA.

11. boots

boots New Member

Unless she's dunking every game, she won't make a difference. And I'm not woman bashing. I am WNBA bashing. I think the league is marketed wrong. And I do like woman's basketball but not enough to shell out $40 for a ticket.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lobo was definitely in the WNBA from the start. She was never on Swoopes' level as a player, but she was one of the biggest names in the game at that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted