1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose WNBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

No one is holding a gun to my head. I watch the games purely from a professional standpoint. I have attended some games both as a basketball fan and as a journalist.
    If I am watching a game at home, believe me, there's nothing else on the boob tube.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"I think the WNBA should be abolished because I hate the idea of a small segment of people harmlessly enjoying something that doesn't interest me personally !"

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At the preps and college levels, that is a matter of schools offering a fair opportunity to women.

Once you get to the pros, it's a matter of drawing enough support to make money....or getting the NBA to prop your league up. Hey, good for them. I won't watch it, but I wouldn't wish for the WNBA to fold.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

How much (if any) of the Storm's uncertainty has to do with the Sonics' uncertainty in Seattle?

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

WNBA -- stands for We'll Never Be Accepted.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The ABL was in no way connected to the NBA. It was started at the same time as the WNBA, paid its athletes more and had more of the stars (i.e. Katie Smith), didn't have the marketing might of the NBA behind, however.

If you're going to insult women's ball, please get your fucking facts right.

7. Well done, sportschick

8. Seven Land

Seven Land New Member

You're right about salaries and ownership. As to timing, I think Katy Steading announced the formation of the ABL right after the Atlanta Olympics, a few months ahead of the WNBA. While absolutely and certainly not tied together in any ownership/financial way, the W and the ABL had a shitty and antagonistic relationship (the prosoded all-star game that was rebuffed, sniping players). And so I missed a "W" while typing my reply -- big whoop. Just a typo. (yeah, yeah, I should copy edit before I hit send...) Sorry it upset you so much. Geez...

9. sportschick

Leaving the "W" off and having it read NBA made it sound as if the ABL was run or owned by the NBA. In this case your "typo" changed the entire meaning of your post and made you look like an idiot.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The sad part about it, is that the ABL probably put a better product on the court than than the WNBA before the WNBA started raiding its rosters.

11. sportschick

It was a far better product. The only really big name I remember the WNBA had when they started was Sheryl Swoopes. Everybody else was in the ABL, making more money.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmm... I hadn't even read it that way until you posted, sportschick. I assumed he was talking about antagonism between the leagues. And typing NBA instead of WNBA is just a way of acknowledging who is really running the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted