1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose WNBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 3, 2007.

1. We stopped running WNBA roundups two years ago. Haven't heard one complaint from readers.

2. boots

boots New Member

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

While we're at it, lets cancel prep women's hoops and all prep soccer games.
    Listen, I love WNBA and I love college women's hoops.
    I'm sorry that the attendance is such, but I trace that to the simple fact that women don't support women's athletics.
    I'm glad the female ballers have something to shoot for in terms of pro ball. I like the league and there are some good players in it.

4. boots

boots New Member

There are some good players but many more average players. I admire the effort but the truth is no one cares. That's why no one is complaining at friend of a friend's paper that they don't see the round up. I can name a few players and I've covered a few games but it doesn't do anything for me. Perhaps its because the WNBA is played out of season.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't follow the WNBA one little bit. I do follow women's college hoops somewhat.

But I don't want it to fold. It's another option and some people enjoy it. And it does employ a lot of people, and I've come to realize that jobs are a good thing. Feel the same way about the MLS. Don't care for it, so I just don't watch it. BUt others enjoy it.

And every player in the WNBA could school 99.9 percent of us on this board, even when we were in our primes.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I must have missed the rule changes extending WNBA and MLS matches to four hours. If that's the case, then I'd have to agree with you.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The hatred stems, in part, from the relentlessness with which the NBA promoted the little sister league in the early years. I think more than a few basketball fans (with Bill Simmons as their pied piper) felt that Stern was trying to shove the WNBA down their throat, so rather than simply ignoring it, these folks decided to rip it at every chance.

I don't feel the same way -- I simply ignore it. Went to a lot of women's games in college (and even afterward) because the Holy Cross team was so good, and I'll watch the Women's Final Four, but I just don't care about the WNBA. Maybe if there were a Boston team, I'd pay some attention, but not too much.

8. boots

boots New Member

The timing might be off but you know where I'm going here. It takes valuable time out of your valuable day to watch that stuff.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the NBA keeps the WNBA going because they don't like the idea of anybody else running a basketball business. It also keeps some arenas busy during NBA down time. It might run at a loss, but for 10 years it has been an acceptable loss.

Now there are some questions. The sale of the Los Angeles Sparks and subsequent pregnancy of Lisa Leslie leaves the ownership situation in a questionable situation. If the Seattle Sonics are sold and moved, it would be difficult to see the Storm in a strong situation.

10. Seven Land

Seven Land New Member

Bingo. Ask anyone who followed the now-defunct ABL how the "relationship" with the NBA went...

The Storm are on the brink, which is too bad considering it (and the Sun) are two of the most financially successful teams, and quite popular in their areas. The Seattle P-I has a regular beat writer for the team, even, for Pete's sake.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Who's holding the gun to your head to make you watch?

12. Garner

Garner Member

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted