1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose WNBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And millions of penises will throb with excitement the day it happens.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

While I don't think the appeal of the WNBA will grow considerably, the league won't die. And it shouldn't. The fact of the matter is that very few pro sports teams make money at any level or in any game. They exist for other reasons, chief of which is the ego boost owners get from ownership. If the NBA thinks it has fat that should be trimmed, it should chop the D-League long before it whacks the WNBA. At least the WNBA is different. It offers the sporting public and society at large something new. The NBADL -- or whatever it's called -- is a thorough waste of time and money. Those who hope for and/or predict the demise of the WNBA should focus their attention elsewhere in the NBA realm.
    Having said all of that, I don't think the marketplace has a moral obligation to support any particular group of athletes. The WUSA failed in its first attempt because of its hubris -- specifically its belief that it could guilt-trip the American sports fan into paying up to $20 for a ticket to a sport it had never really supported in this country.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Remember the other women's pro basketball league that played during the winter? It died because it wasn't bankrolled by the NBA. If that money every stops coming, the league will go away. It's kind of like the football and men's basketball programs helping to pay for the wrestling or cross country programs.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

link please

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Hey, the WNBA gives newspaper interns something else to do besides cover the local golf tournament each weekend.

Keep the league around for the interns — for the interns!

(But thank goodness I haven't been an intern in years!)

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't understand the hatred for this league. It's not like it sucks anywhere near as much as hockey. Might even get better ratings than hockey.

The best thing for this league would have been some Sue Bird heroics in whatever the hell round she failed in. Then all the moron columnists who think with their middle leg first could have written up a storm, barely able to keep from climaxing, and the league would have gotten a lot of pub.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't know a hockey puck from the two-weeks-old cornbread in the back of my fridge, but I can name five hockey players. Couldn't name two WNBA players with a gun pressed to my temple.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Mwabe Mbeka (sp) is the shit.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Detroit Shock won in 2003. There's my contribution.

I'd follow it closer if Dallas had a team, but they don't and Cuban doesn't want to mess with it. Till then, it's bad juco ball for me.

10. boots

boots New Member

It's time fold up the WNBA and professional soccer franchises in the United States. The attendance is a joke since many are giveaways and the product, for the most part, isn't worth spending 4 hours to see. It's a cold hard fact that should be addressed.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. boots

boots New Member

Ya gotta love that Ace. He gets it on the head, litterally.

Draft saved Draft deleted