1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose WNBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Sheryl Swoopes is a baller. Love watching her play. I also love watching Ticha Penicheiro(she can pass that rock) and Katie Smith(great scorer),especially when she played for Minnesota.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I enjoy and follow women's college basketball, but I just can't get excited about the WNBA.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Any particular reason for that? Or do you just prefer college sports in general.

For the record, I like both. But you probably guessed that already.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me, too, though I feel the same way about the NBA. ;)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Until he resigns. then I bet the WNBA dies within 12 months.

6. ondeadline

GB-Hack, I look at the WNBA much like I look at the MLS, the Arena Football League or any other minor league that a network (NBC and soon-to-be ESPN) or entity (the NBA in this case) tries to prop up as a major league. It's a niche league and I don't care about it.

I just can't get excited about the WNBA, but I enjoy games involving big-time college programs such as Tennessee, UConn, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina and some others. They are at least working to win an NCAA title that actually means something. I couldn't care less about a WNBA title.

I think Ace is suggesting that he likes men's college basketball and isn't an NBA fan. That's my feeling as well. Love college basketball and would probably fall asleep if I tried to watch an entire NBA game.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, that pretty much covers it. I like basketball, and all types from college to the NBA to the world championships. There's something remarkable about what NBA players can do on a regular basis, and teams like the Suns make me smile every time I watch them. There are things about each different type of game I enjoy.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And yet, 78 percent of SportsJournalists.com respondents said they'd take a job in the WNBA. ;D

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28127/

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To be fair, there's a big difference between "take a high-paying job in the WNBA" and "watch the WNBA of my own free will". 110 large changes the atmosphere.

10. ondeadline

Yeah, go from one industry that is cutting its workforce way too much -- newspapers -- to the WNBA, which is likely to cut all of its workforce within five years.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As much as everybody around here says they'd rather chew off a limb than watch the WNBA, I guess we all have our price.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't think EVERYBODY says they'd rather chew a limb off, and if you asked a big-time trial lawyer whether he or she would rather chew a limb off or watch four hours of real estate law discussion, then you'd probably find more one-armed bandits than at Dover Downs.

Put another way: There's sports I would never watch for free because they bore me to tears. But tell me to make my living off of them, and I would without hesitation. That's what a jack-of-all-trades sportswriter does.

Draft saved Draft deleted