1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose running photo/critique thread.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by audreyld, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Songbird

3. Songbird

4. Songbird

5. Songbird

6. Songbird

Adventurous goalie, far out of his crease ...

[​IMG]

7. Songbird

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I really like the shot of the goalie with the ball.

Something I've noticed in your pictures, overall, is that you don't hold the camera level. A lot of your horizons are wonky.

9. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I have that same problem in some of my photos. It's just one of those things you have to consciously think about, in addition to lightling/focus/framing...man, this is hard stuff to do.

10. Songbird

UT, thanks. It's not that the shots are wonky (they are), it's the way I'm seated (sometimes I sit on the ground) and shoot diagonally, so that makes the shots look how they do. I'm pretty sure I hold the camera level, but the magic is in the angles :D

On the shot of the 2 girls fighting for a scoop ball, action came at me quickly, so I had to backup and snap at the same time. So in an instance like that I can understand the wonkiness. Sometimes I don't hold the camera straight on purpose, such as this one from last night as the team celebrated the lacrosse program's 1st state title ...

[​IMG]

11. Xan, just out of curiosity, are you still shooting film or are some of these old photos? They look too grainy to be digital.

12. Songbird

Digital. I take the mask off. Some of the shots are taken in extremely dark situations, too. I have an aging Nikon D-100 on which I've taken half-a-million photos (that's being conservative). I don't have a world-class lens, so the farther the action the grainier it gets when I crop and take the mask off in Photoshop.

Draft saved Draft deleted