1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The all-purpose running photo/critique thread.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by audreyld, Jun 2, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I thought it'd be nice to have a place to talk about photos we're taking, with the idea of making a better all-around product, especially for those who have to both shoot and write.

I'll toss one in the ring.

[​IMG]

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good idea, UT. Comment on the photos folks. If this deteriorates, I will lock it in a heartbeat and be very mad I had to do that. There's plenty of other places to be a schnerd around here.

Good photo, I'd crop it a little tighter and focus on the expression. You can probably bring it in an inch on each side and off the top, some off the bottom, too.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I agree about the cropping, Moddy. Not to make excuses, but for this particular client there's a need to leave space in the full frame (and this is the full frame shot) so they can crop to 8x10 without losing any real content off the top and bottom, since that ratio is so much more square than the original.

I don't generally put my pictures where they can be linked like this, so for the moment I'm stuck showing what my clients have posted.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Good thread, UT.
    I wish I could post some fotos, but I'm going to be stuck just looking at them.

I like the way you said you'd "toss" one into the ring. ;D

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I almost said I'd toss one into the circle, but I thought that was too punny to be acceptable.

:)

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agree, move in tighter, her expression becomes the photo. Showing a athletes emotion is one of the best ways to help tell the story.
    BTW - photographing an attractive blond will always get you props from me.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Anyone else gonna show some work?

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

You know I'd like to, but can't at the moment.
    Give it some time. It will take off.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

[​IMG]
    First off, I consider myself a photography hack. So please be kind. However, what could I have done different, ect.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

[​IMG]

Here's another one. This is a picture whose team made three errors behind her in one inning at the state tourney turning a 2-2 game in a 8-2 game. This is a shot after the third error allowed two more runs to score. I ran it Grayscale to focus on the despair of the moment.
    Fire away, thoughts. Remember, I'm a hack.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, posting on a thread that wasn't started last year. Must be time for another drink.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

LOL. Sorry about digging up old posts, but I found some really good stuff. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted