1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The AIG 73

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

73 - The number of AIG employees who received bonuses over a million dollars. I be willing to let them keep the money in return for the right to parade them before congress and explain exactly what they did to create this mess. To date there really has not been a clear explanation . It's time we had one.
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's fair enough.
  3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Honestly, someone would be attacked outside of chambers.
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey if they are going to parade Sammy Sosa before congress for artificially pumping himself up on steroids, no reason why these guys should not be asked to show up to explain how they artificially pumped up the AIG balance sheet.
  5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Y'know Boom, that's actually not a bad idea at all. Make it conditional. Want the money? Explain how you jacked things up. Want to give the money back? Then walk away.
  6. Simon_Cowbell

Listen, I would love to see at least one of them attacked.

What they did is tantamount to felonious assaults over and over again, the mental anguish they have put so many through.
  7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'd like to draw a distinction here. I have neither sympathy nor respect for anyone who's going to keep thier bonus money, but let's remember that a lot of the people receiving the money didn't write the rules or craft the bonus plan.

The big issue in my mind is that the handful of people genuinely in charge -- the people who decide how much to dish out to whom -- are probably still in charge. These are people who are somewhere between criminal and merely out of touch with reality, and yet they remain in charge of a company that you and I have spent $170 billion on recently.

I certainly don't feel as though I'm getting my money's worth from management.
  8. Simon_Cowbell

Those are the people, obviously, that I have the animosity toward.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of course, somebody here was posting about Wall Street bonus excess, about 16 months ahead of the curve.

10. KP

KP Active Member

I'd love to hear one actually say in front of Congress that they deserve that money based on job performance.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They will. They absolutely will, and they'll believe it.
  12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

agreed, boomer. These people are the lowest form of scum.
Draft saved Draft deleted