1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The age old question -- to cover cheerleading or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jan 8, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I fully agree with that. No parents should complain about the placement of a story or a photo, though they will.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I think the vote "no" is winning by a landslide right now.

3. Exactly. Cheerleading isn't a sport, it's an activity. Belongs in the paper, but not in the sports section.

And even then, I would cover only the state championships, no regular-season competitions.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

has the age old answer ever been different?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hell no.

Hell fuckin' no.

Call Joan over in Life. She may be able to squeeze it in between the winter crochet club and instructions on how to build a compost bin.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Do a series of interviews with coaches and athletes of legitimate girls' sports, and ask them what THEY think of cheerleading as a varsity sport. Be sure and ask the volleyball, basketball and softball coaches who gets new uniforms first, them or the cheerleaders. Also be sure to ask what takes more athletic skill and dedication, cheerleading or their sport. ;)

Especially see if you can track down any gymnastics coaches -- most of them will tell you, flat out, that their sport has been effectively destroyed by the encroachment of cheerleading (or worse, 'dance team') as a "varsity sport."

7. Amen. That's what I do.

8. Yes.

Oh wait, I mean NO!

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now if they were college chicks, that'd be a different story.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Double-check with the state association, which likely sanctions both activities (debate) and athletics (football), and see which one they list cheerleading under. If the state association doesn't sanction it as a sport, you're off the hook.

Your backup argument would be to group it in with band as a "sports support program," which also has competitions but gets their writeup in the community section.

11. Well, yeah. That's a given.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, when the chicks start coming out against the chicks, you know they're in trouble. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted