1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Age Of Snobbery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

I remember my rants on the types who patronized the Whole Foods in Berkeley, where I would occasionally wander in. Militant herbalist-vegans who patrolled the aisles with an overarching sense of righteousness. Loopy, lefty soccer moms with sagging hips and bad post-Jerry haircuts, loading up on healthy crap their kids probably hated. The arcane inventory, sporting ridiculously high price tags, hung there by affectedly hip college kids and earthy pothead types who somehow bought into the Whole Foods corporate culture by convincing themselves it's not a corporate culture.

And to think, there was a market for this stuff.

I don't know what the author's point was. Making fun of other people is a time-honored activity and, naturally, some groups are easier prey than others and it's all relative to the natural tastes and inclinations of the one making fun.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How are Democrats going to run on the economy when the Republicans gave you 4.4 percent unemployment and a record-high Dow?
    Oh, yeah. Manufacture an issue over the minimum wage -- a wage paid almost exclusively to 16-year-olds working at McDonalds. Tell em: You can't raise a family on $5 an hour. And those that have no sense will agree.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rove played to the know-nothings to fulfill his divide-and-conquer wet dreams, but cut to the
    chase . . . isn't a truly, broadly-informed electorate the best for the country?

Not the best for Karl Rove and his corporate buddies, eager to convince people that a tax
    cut for the top 1% of earners is good for EVERBODY (stifle your guffaws, now . . . )

. . . but the best for the broad population . . . . the nation's backbone.

Brooks' specific point about the Borat movie is spot-on, BTW . . . like W, Brooks is right -- about 20% of the time.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the "white rednecks" not voting as much as it was the great turnout by women who carry little dogs in their handbags. They're looming as the soccer moms of the next decade.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

YES, BUT CAN SHE DO 100 PUSH-UPS?? ;)

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Joe was the best I ever saw. Hit, run, throw ... he was the best. But those guys are all gone now. 8)

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . he's doing guest spots on House, now . . .

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In LESS than 20 minutes!

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

10. Ryan Sonner calls bullshit here.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This person doesn't exist.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, they do. LOTS of them live near the shore, in Southern Connecticut. It's uncanny.

Draft saved Draft deleted