1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The advantages of Facebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 17, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Rainy day in July in the beautiful Pacific NW means rain delays at the local Little League tournaments. Only way I found out about my game being pushed back 4 hours was by checking my work's Facebook account this morning.

If this had been last year, I would be stuck in the parking lot reading old McDonald's receipts during the delay...this year I can plan accordingly and enjoy my afternoon with the kids.

If you don't already, creating a Facebook network for your page is worth the investment.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or you could just have a phone ladder with parents.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

flex, can it make the rain stop? I've had enough. :)

4. flexmaster33

I've never found the phone idea to be all that reliable...many a time I've been told I'd be called if something were to change only to find myself left in a fog.

And yes, Johnny, this "summer" is getting ridiculous. Has only hit 80 once...you've got to be kidding. Couple weeks ago on the radio, they were saying to prepare for the upcoming heat wave, then read off the forecast that included days of something like 74, 77 and 72. Really. :)

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

"Sucks" to be you. :) I'll trade your dislike of a rainy summer for my heat and humidity. I'll take rain and 60s and 70s over anything else. During my first summer in Minnesota, it got over 90 just once, on Labor Day.

I miss living at 9,000 feet elevation with plenty of nights in the 30s and 40s.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was 84 the other day and it felt like October.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

This weekend in Ga was FANTASTIC

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Someone's spending a perfectly fine summer weekend covering Little League tournaments?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still remember my last time in Seattle, when I was told it was "going to be hot out" -- only to look across the street at the digital thermometer that read ... 65.

Cool, cloudy days win 100 percent of the time.

10. flexmaster33

bring the heat...baby!!! I need to move to Arizona...for two weeks anyway :)

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm telling ya (returning to topic, sort of), Facebook is a gigantic time-waster, but it also has a lot of value in terms of keeping people in the loop in terms of things they might want to know: life news, events they might want to attend, schedule changes like this -- it's a pain in the ass, and also a valuable tool.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Pain in the ass?
    Honestly, it's a billion times easier to use than my papers' website. Loading photos takes no time at all, posting information takes seconds as opposed to minutes and I find people are more apt to check Facebook than our website.
    Of course, our website sucks ass, so it may be different for others than it is for myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted