1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Accuracy Factor: Dershowitz Reviews O'Reilly's New Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone of you who wrote a book and got a less than glowing review can now rest easy knowing there's now at least one other book ripped to greater pieces than your's. Morrow Publishing may just want to remove it from the shelves and pretend it never happened. Seriously, the book can't even come close to being a smidgen as entertaining as this review. I want more of the review and less of the book.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/06/AR2007120602186.html

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoy BOR's show, not that I think he's the pillar of righteousness or anything, but it is fun to watch the train come off the wheels sometimes. That said, whoever the pinhead was who assigned this book review to Derschowitz might as well have sent it to Rosie O'Donnell or one of his other favorite targets. The book could have been taken apart page by page, but instead the reviewer seems more intent on taking O'Reilly down a peg. It's easy. But the cheap hits at BOR negate any of the legitimate criticism the review made.

3. Cheap hits such as?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Dan, I'm calling BS.
    It's a kids book, BO, in his typical arrogance, is going to assume that a lot of it will be a history lesson.
    As he's proven time and time again, he can't get it right (see the Malmedy massacre as a prime example).
    And what will we get from falafel boy? No mea culpa that the facts are wrong, just that Alan Dershowitz hates America.
    And you are damn right he needs knocked down a peg. The fake and hypocrite who pretends to be America's moral compass?
    How many of us here ever got sued for sexual harassment but were rich enough to make it go away?
    He's a pig and deserves every single cheap shot from now till he dies -- and if that's 50 years away, let the pounding continue.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That.Was.Awesome.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Culture Warrior" ad down the right rail! How apt! O'Reilly, warring against culture wherever he goes!

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Didn't O'Reilly bitch and moan that some big papers didn't review some of his previous books? You got your wish, Bill-O.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The Franken books were much the same. O'Wrongly is a blowhard. That's annoying. But he consistently gets the facts wrong. For an award-winning journalist -- as he likes to portray himself (incorrectly, of course) -- that's unpardonable. I'm amazed that he and folks like Limbaugh still have listeners. Duplicitous scheming embarassments.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not defending BOR. Sounds like the book is a joke. But AD wasn't reviewing the book as much as he was reviewing BOR. Judge the work on its merits or demerits. I think the readers of the WP deserve an honest assessment of the book.
    How much of the review was about the book and how much of it was a discussion on BOR's transgressions? If this was an opinion piece, fine. Take him down a peg, go right ahead. But this was labeled a book review. What's next? Sean Hannity reviewing a Clinton book? I'm all for a reviewer with a base of information to provide an expert analyisis of a work, but readers deserve better than to see critical reviews be used as a place to settle scores.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Not with that douchebag's history.
    Ask him where his Peabody is.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

To quote Snoop Dog, "Fuck Bill O'Reilly."

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Most of the review was about the book -- Dershowitz picked apart a bunch of the things O'Reilly got wrong in the book, then tacked on a few gratuitous shots for good measure.

Draft saved Draft deleted