1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The absolute worst small talk EVER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 9, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So I'm at the pharmacy--that shining beacon to the inefficiency and inadequacy of the American health care system, we're no. 18, we're no. 18!!!!--waiting at 7 pm last night for medication that was supposed to be ready at 3:30. I hear someone behind the counter say my last name so I move up to the line. A few seconds later, some dude who was perusing the "family planning" section comes up to me and says he was in line before me. I am just too disgusted with the process to argue with him, so I step aside.

In doing so, I notice that he is holding what can best be described as a "mutual self-help" device a man would use with a lady, and vice versa. It's not something I'd buy in a pharmacy full of coughing, impatient, mostly weird people, but hey, maybe he's horned up and has the wife ready to go at home. I dunno.

So we're standing there for a few more seconds when he turns to me.

"You ever try this?" he says and points to it.

[​IMG]

I briefly thought about telling him about my quick trigger reputation and how I just don't have time for something like that, or quite frankly the need. Readiness = not an issue for me. I also thought about yelling "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ASKING ME THAT?!" but chose restraint.

"No," I said. "But good luck to you."

Then thankfully my name was called and I was outta there. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? Next time just prattle on about the rain coming tomorrow and how we had no fall. Shit.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I predict epic status for this thread. I cannot wait to see where this one goes...

:)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure he wasn't trying to pick you up, BYH?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had my order not been ready eight seconds later, I might have found out.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What IS it with you anyway, beej?

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Bitch BYH should've thrown a rock at the guy. [/crossthreading, I think]

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It worked great, by the way

8. ripple

ripple Member

I have a similar yet unrelated gripe. I don't know when they started doing it, but a local pharmacy now locks up the items in its family planning aisle like it's the video game cabinet at Wal-Mart.
    As if going to buy condoms wasn't awkward enough, now you have to ask the clerk to unlock the damn case for you.

ETA: I opened this thread thinking the title was "worst smack talk ever" and the enclosed picture really piqued my curiosity.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Tell that guy to get the latest edition of this magazine:

[​IMG]

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

*Still laughing so hard I can barely type ... *

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The town I grew up in, you could get condoms for free at the courthouse, no questions asked. They had a little bowl of them, like candy, at the main desk. I'm not sure who supplied them but we sure as hell took advantage

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What fortuitous timing.

Draft saved Draft deleted