1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The '99 women's World Cup team: Why the appeal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Dick, I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough, you'll find a strawman somewhere that you haven't set up for yourself to knock down on this thread.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I have one quibble with the way the women's tournament was portrayed, it is that the harsh "choking" angle was ignored, which is one of the things that often happens in coverage of women's sports. There were three breakdowns by three different defenders on Japan's first goal, and the PKs were a joke. But for the most part what we got was a "you did your country proud, girls."

That actually was one of the more encouraging things about the men's Cup last year and thinking they had turned a corner -- not that they made the elimination round but that people were upset about how they lost and were forming semi-intelligent questions about what could have been done differently with the lineup or the tactics.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All due respect, Dick, but

A) it's sports, not the history of social violence in the US. So the categories, are, yes, almost entirely arbitrary, and

B) you framed your original post in such a way as to imply individuals were saying these things, not

C) some giant sports information company. ESPN inflates things, as do all media companies, and as should be well known by now.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Good to see that our running series, "Explain The World To Dick," hasn't been canceled.

I wish I could say the same for "The J Game."

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

It was Brandi Chastain's unbroken line from hip to hem that really won Americans over.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"The J Game" (NBC, Wednesdays, 9 PM ET) Dabney Coleman, Marg Helgenberger, Kelly Osbourne

Disaster strikes when Roger substitute teaches at the community college; Lois strikes out with guest star Meadowlark Lemon; Teeny sleeps in. (Rerun; CC)

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Solid. And glad Teeny found work!

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mia Hamm has PM'ed Mark and asked him to request that we not out her on this thread.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i believe i either made this point -- or tried to, poorly -- earlier on this or another thread: we'll know women's soccer in particular has 'made it' when it is covered and analyzed with the same critical, cynical eye men's sports are. 'kid gloves' barely describes the treatment sportswriters, tv analysts, most fans use on women's sports, which i'd imagine the women resent. or, if they're too thin-skinned to resent it, they should.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

This. WFW.

According to this ESPN sportscience vid,
    , goalies have to guess in advance where the ball might be headed because of the speed of it all. If you're the one making the PK, you've got anywhere from a 75-85% chance of scoring against the goalie in net.

But when your first PK is a weak dribbler and your second one sails into the cheap seats, you don't do yourself any favors, especially after the aforementioned lapses on D. It's almost inexcusable if you don't ring up 4-5 goals in PKs at that level.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I liked the 99 team better because they weren't so fucking arrogant. I got really sick of Solo and Abby all but guaranteeing that they were gonna win. If they'd had a more carefree attitude like Megan Rapinoe, perhaps it would've served them better.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted