1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The '90s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously, the 90's I experienced in Britain we're nothing like it was over here.

Here's some of the stuff I still love from them.

Black Grape:

Stone Roses:

Blur:

Supergrass:

Oasis:

Pulp:

The Charlatans:

The Lightning Seeds:

That's not to say a lot of American music didn't make it over.

Weezer:

Lenny Kravitz:

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a child of the 80s, I remember spending the last half of the 90s and the first half to this decade bitching about how the music from about 94 on sucked. When I first saw the VH1 show about the top 100 songs it was like a smack in the head because I realized I had fond memories of just about every one of them.

I must have subconsciously liked the songs at the time but only realized it on a 5-6 year delay.

Cracked Rear View and Jagged Little Pill will go down as monsters of the era.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Oh yeah, props for (What's the Story) Morning Glory? when it comes to monsters holding up.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oasis. My favorite.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

You forgot Outkast-Aquemini, Outkast was great before all the backpackers and frat boys started to like them.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Could not agree more. It's a perfect pop song, and it tells a really neat story in about three minutes to boot. Do you know the real story behind it, BTW? It's about a senior citizen couple that disappeared and were found dead. What a light, poppy way to tell that story huh?

That whole album--"All the Pain Money Can Buy," I think it was called--was just about perfect as well. Masterfully done power pop. It's on my iPod, perhaps I'll listen to it...now!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Way should've won the Grammy for best song of '98. Just a great American rock 'n' roll song.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, for most of the 90s, my mom controlled the radio (because she hated my dad's musical selections of rock music of the 1970s) so I grew up on pure country. I've expanded my musical tastes since then but I've never quite grown out of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Trisha Yearwood and Lorrie Morgan. The early 90s country is 1,000 times better than anything in mainstream country now.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

When I first saw this thread my first thought was

"The 90s were the 60s turned upside down."

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If grunge hadn't happened, a lot of those bands would've really hit big here (The Happy Mondays couldn't stay sober long enough to put out even a decent follow-up to "Thrills Pills & Bellyaches" and deserve to be left off the list.) Oasis and Blur did end up having success.

Stateside ... Nobody mentioned Smashing Pumpkins yet.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"The Way" was shit. "Fire Escape", on the other hand, rocked.

Some of my 90's faves:

"Time Bomb" - Rancid (....And Out Come the Wolves would be one of the great 90's albums too)
    "Buddy Holly" - Weezer (greatest video ever)
    "Santa Monica" - Everclear
    "Machinehead" - Bush
    "Pumping On Your Stereo" - Supergrass
    "More" - J. Englishman
    "Remote Control" - Age Of Electric
    "Stereo" & "Absolutely Anytime" - Watchmen
    "Wheat Kings" & "Nautical Disaster" - Tragically Hip
    ""You And Me And The Bottle Makes Three" - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
    "Hell" - Squirrel Nut Zippers

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nicely done, DMX is basically a Pac ripoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted