1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The '90s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 5, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I know they were around in the 80s, but they definitely have to be included in a discussion of best music of the 90s. Especially considering they book-ended the decade with Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

You mean they weren't always shit? ;)

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I liked Dizzy Up the Girl :D

4. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I agree basically 100% with this. I don't think the Goo Goo Dolls are that shitty these days, but Dizzy Up the Girl was definitely their best. And who doesn't love Run Around by the Blues Travelers?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One of the best songs of the 90s

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Albums: Nas -- Illmatic, Dr. Dre -- The Chronic, Snoop -- Doggystyle, Eric B. and Rakim -- Let the Ryhthm Hit 'Em and Don't Sweat the Technique, Wu-Tang Clan -- Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Raekwon -- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx ...

It's a shame you can't rattle off good hip-hop albums from this decade the way you can from the '80s and '90s.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rakim was so damn badass.

8. Bruce Leroy

Best MC ever. Don't think that will ever change.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Woah bro, don't forget Ice Cube's "Death Certificate." That's as good as anything you just named.

And I really dug Ice-T's Original Gangster too...released just after New Jack City.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Thus I say to all, Rage Against the Machine and the Toadies headline the second day of Lollapalooza in Chicago. Wilco plays a secondary stage same time as Rage. Decisions, decisions.

My iPod is frozen in the 90s. Of the 378 songs in there, 300 of them were recorded between 90-99. Also of note: a couple of us at the Seattle outing noted precious little of the Experience Music Project was devoted to the music that came out of that part of the world. We argue few music scenes changed as much of pop culture as did grunge, thus it really deserved more discussion.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The best. Ever. Did you ever listen to The Master, which came out in 2000? A lot of people don't like it, but I love it, especially the song "Up Lift."

12. Bruce Leroy

Oh, I knew there were plenty I was leaving out. But I don't know if I'd put anything Ice Cube did up there with Nas and Rakim. Quality, but Cube's no Nas and nowhere near The God MC.

Draft saved Draft deleted