1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 9.5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An old buddy in grad school used to say that something artistic can never be perfect. You can always make it better.

He also said that it is impossible to say that when things are so good, it is impossible to separate them or to say that one is better. When things reach this standard, he would call it a 9.5 or a "nine-five."

Once things reach the status of a 9.5, they cannot be debated as to which is better.

For example, to debate if Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is better than The Godfather or Jaws is a waste of time. The are all 9.5s.

I thought about this when someone mentioned a new U2 album coming out and it might be their best ever. Well to debate something better than The Joshua Tree is futile. It's a 9.5. Maybe the new album will be a 9.5. Maybe it won't.

I also thought about this when watching No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. They are both very good movies, but they are lacking just enough so that I think they are not worthy of a 9.5. Possibly 9s, but not 9.5s.

For me, Once is a 9.5. as is Boogie Nights.

There are films that are 9.5s and a few dozen albums, and athletes can even be 9.5s. Ruth and Mays are/were 9.5s for example as was Secretariat.

Hopefully this makes sense to people.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 93Devil

And I disagree with a 10.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll see you and raise you a 10

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

[​IMG]

Maybe 10.5, maybe 10.

NOT 9.5

Copout in the purest of senses.

6. 93Devil

Hey, that horse lost races.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe we ought distinguish between measurable competition and art for the purpose of this discussion?

8. 93Devil

True.

The 9.5 should just be limited to art which is judged by opinion and not a watch or scoreboard.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

But these go to 11.

10. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Well, if the best things ever were a 9.5 to this guy, then that's really in his mind a 10. If there's no perfect, but these things are as close to perfect as it gets, then the 9.5 means a 10.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Whew, at first I thought the Big One had hit the West Coast.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

In what universe has U2 produced something of a 9.5 level? Certainly not this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted