1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 50th anniversary of a record that may never be broken

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Mar 2, 2012.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Philly. com with a nice oral history of the game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20120226_100__The_story_behind_one_of_the_NBA_s_most_historic_games.html?viewAll=y

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That has always been the most captivating part of Wilt to me, that he could do absolutely anything. Like the time he was getting criticized for being a ballhog, he took 10 less shots a game in 1966-67, so he finished third in the league in assists and the Sixers won his first championship.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Oh, I am not diminishing Wilt's 100-point performance at all. It is otherworldly and might not be broken in the next 50 years.

All I'm saying is that from people who were there it wasn't the awe-inspiring moment you would think it might be. Perhaps because Wilt had scored 78 and 73 earlier that year.

To me the fact that Wilt's 100-point game came with so little coverage and fanfare at the time,makes it an even bigger accomplishment than it might otherwise have been.

Speaking of Wilt's athletic prowess, he also wanted to box Ali in his prime and I think there was even a signed contract.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know where you came up with that conclusion. I've talkked with two people who were there, Harvey Pollack and Bill Campbell. It was a very big deal.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was a publicity stunt. Was never going to happen.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You have a much greater chance of a gaping talent discrepancy in high school basketball than you do the NBA.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When the Wilt-Ali thing was going on (and it was all hype by two master hype artists), Wilt wrote a first person article on the NBA for Sports Illustrated and was on the cover with his shirt off. In the article, he said "If you don't think I can beat the champion, I suggest you take another look at the cover of this magazine."
    This in turn was relayed to Ali, who responded "Timber-r-r-r-!"

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't know Avery Schreiber was black.

Draft saved Draft deleted