1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 46-inch nightmare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ballcoach, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We just went to 46 on Tuesday. That half-inch off on each side doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference in your newshole.

The bad thing is, all the tabs in our NewsEdit styles are still set to when we were a 52-inch web more than six years ago. This is the second web change and we are still having to format agate on the page by hand. I've bitched about it to my bosses numerous times with no resolution.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Tech guy? God, I gotta get a job at a bigger paper.

3. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Some even have tech "guys"

We have one who always acts like we're bothering him when we ask him a question.

4. lono

lono Active Member

The 46-inch nightmare?

Sportschick in flats. ;)

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dead. To. Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a 60-inch nightmare in flats.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fixed

7. What he said.

8. Ok, much more serious here, my paper is 67 picas. I can't imagine going to 46 ... that would be 21 picas smaller or nearly 1/3 of the paper being trimmed ... that's 33 percent.

Now I'm reading that you guys are saying this is becoming the industry standard. Are you serious? Is it really? I had no idead if it was. Every paper I pick up is 67 or so. I don't recall picking any up that were 46. Maybe I'm just confused here, so if I am, someone please set me straight.

I just can't imagine a 46 pica news hole. It seems like it would be a news pamphlet rather than a newspaper to me.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

46 INCHES, not picas. We're at 69 or so picas width-wise.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

We are at 69 picas on a 50-inch web

11. Thanks. I knew something wasn't right. My brain gets a little crossed up the later at night that I'm reading this stuff.

46 Inches, not picas, ... I'll try to remember that.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

46-inch Web means the width of the press cylinder of four pages. So, roughly, your page is 11 1/2 inches wide or 69 picas, including the space on the sides. The change from 48 to 46 inches means chopping half an inch off a page.

Draft saved Draft deleted