1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $400 EpiPen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 23, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What about them would you like me to study?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This thread has perverted reality. In regard to many of the posts (not yours), there is nothing free about the marketplace that has left us with an expensive epi-pen. Many of you are now reaping what you sowed with the populist rhetoric you either shouted everyone down with or that you bought into. We have a Frankenstein mess of interferences that have destroyed any semblance of a free market in the name of subjective "fairness" rhetoric that has turned various markets into price-fixed messes. And we have reaped what we sowed.

As for capitalism, I completely disagree with you. I am always reluctant to step into these conversations because the discussions are perversions of reality to me, and I feel like I have walked into a Kafka novel. And I can anticipate the shitty responses I am going to get.

But it's funny you used the description "immoral" to me, because I see the exact opposite. Capitalism (if only we had a capitalistic system rather than the mess all the Joe Jr. dictatorial planners have forced on everyone) is the only moral economic system there is. It has nothing to do with the outcomes of any economic system that people point to, or some "common good" rationale -- even though history has more than proven that capitalism has always produced the most efficient economic outcomes that benefit people in the aggregate more than any of the dictatorial systems that have hijacked markets (for all kinds of ends, usually corrupt ones).

The reason capitalism is the only moral (and I am thinking about that word in a very precise way) system there is that it is the only system that recognizes our individual rights. A true capitalist society doesn't allow for physical force in human relationships, and it keeps government where it belongs -- solely to protect our rights (i.e. -- protecting each of us from anyone else who wants to use force for their ends to make others do what they want).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

She's the daughter of a prominent Democrat. The story will be gone by tonight.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And since there never was and never will be the Ayn Randian capitalism of which you speak, we're left with the real-world version filled with many corrupt people who do many corrupt things and need to be heavily regulated.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Something Clark Howard said once has stuck with me. Industries tend to attract the amount of regulation (and unionization) their actions deserve.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If we are going to stuck with you (or someone of your choosing) to decide who is "corrupt," and that they "need" to be "heavily regulated," expect the same results. You use the misery you cause to argue that we need more of you fixing everything. As I have said, it's the arsonist riding in on the fire truck. Until you fuck up everyone's life bad enough and they reject the mealy rhetoric, and you are forced to take a step back for a little while.

To my mind, this is 100 percent an individual rights issue. "Corrupt" is a bullshit notion that you think allows you to impose yourself on everyone else. Please live your life -- however you want, as nobly as you think you should. And let everyone else made decisions for themselves. If they don't stop you, you shouldn't be stopping them.

Hokie_pokie and old_tony like this.
  7. doctorquant

And of course said regulation will be undertaken by only those with the absolute purest of motives.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. doctorquant

In. Fucking. Deed.

9. Or her father will be dead by Monday.

Hokie_pokie and doctorquant like this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Until you compare it to the other economic systems.

11. doctorquant

Amoral =\= Immoral

bigpern23 and HC like this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Amoral =/= immoral

EDIT: Damnit doc!

Draft saved Draft deleted