1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $400 EpiPen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Here's another lil' problem.

We have all these millions of EpiPens, right?

And .0000001 % of the them ever get used, correct ?

So these things expire after a year... and NOBODY will take the old ones.

I've tried to get the pharmacy to dispose of them. Nope. Doctors won't take them. No thanks.

I was told to throw them in the garbage or contact the DEA for their "drug disposal day."

If thrown in the garbage all that epinephrine ultimately makes its way into the water supply.

Nice thought, huh ?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would love to know what has caused the increase in nut allergies since I was a kid. It was basically unheard of then. The only situations requiring the use of something like the EpiPen back then were bee stings.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wondered about that also. Can't remember one kid from 1st through 8th grade who had a nut allergy. From relatives and friends who are teachers it seems there are two or more in each of their classes every year.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There's a theory that such things are literally first world problems. We've such a good job at eliminating certain dangers from our environment that now our bodies don't know how to handle alergines. So you see a rise in autoimmune diseases and allergies where if you live in the third world you don't see it. Some have gone so far as to expose themselves to parisites on the belief that it will eliminate their allergies.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Free market.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've noticed a college friend who is a B-school professor has interrupted her summer of Gary Johnson love on Facebook to flog this story hard in recent days, culminating in yesterday's post where she wanted them banned from selling in the US and their patents revoked. It was, to put it mildly, quite the sea change.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not quite ...

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She's a dingbat who doesn't have her facts straight. Epipens aren't on patent anymore.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yeah, forgot the blue font.

10. Marketing and Sales.
    As I noted earlier, you have a better chance of choking to death at dinner than of dying due to a bee sting, shellfish or nut reaction.
    Most people didn't know they needed an EpiPen. Until they were told they needed them.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You don't follow. She wants ALL their patents revoked, and presumably their headquarters leveled and the field salted as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted