1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $4,000 question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Oct 28, 2015.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So why does she need to replace the Saturn if she has another car?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) No one has an 850 plus credit score. Just sayin'. :) Fico scores are measured up to 850. And the 850 may not actually be achievable.

2) Please don't let her drop $4,100 on a car that isn't worth that much in drivable condition. I am getting agita just thinking about it.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you can get zero percent interest, take it.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All I know is when she went to get the mortgage, the loan officer told her that it was highest credit score he had seen and that he didn't think it was possible to be that high and he ran it again.

I want to say it was 853 but, regardless, it was in the 800s, and I think it would be insane to spend that much on repairs when compared to the car's value.

But I can't tell her that. It has to come from some random person before she'll believe.

Like, when her check engine light came on, I asked if her if it was flashing, and she asked why and I said it was important and she said okay and then said no it wasn't flashing but she didn't think that was a big deal.

A coworker on Monday asked her the same thing and she said no and the coworker said that was great news for it not to be flashing and now the fact that the light wasn't flashing is the most important bit of car news she knows.

Anyway, we're going to look at a dealership tonight.

I'm shocked she's moving this fast.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

At least she knows she has dealers by the balls if she plays the credit score card right.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Turn her in and invest the 4 grand in a new girlfriend.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you're getting 0% interest, don't put any money down, and don't trade anything in.
    While you're at it....if you can swing the payment, put and extended warranty....gap coverage.....maintenance plan.......road hazard tire/wheel......the whole shpeel.......remember........it's all at 0% interest........you're using their money.......provided it fits into your payment range.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's the old "An expert is someone from out of town" dynamic. I run into it all the time with my wife (of 24 years). I've probably been guilty of it, as well.

Now remember, working on cars is a hobby of mine. I've rebuilt engines. Front ends. A/C systems. Suspension systems. I've done body work. Brake work. You name it. We get away with driving old cars because I can keep the damn things running. Hell, I even fix my friend's cars.

But whenever I'm stumped (temporarily) by something, if my wife happens to go into the office she comes home with some oh-so-helpful suggestion by one of her architecture colleagues. Like, "So and so said it might be the clutch," when the damn thing has an automatic transmission. Or "So and so said you might want to check the CV joint," when it's a rear-wheel drive.

I've learned to just nod and say, "Yeah, I'll check that out."

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No way you invest $4,100 in that old of a car unless you are absolutely damn sure the car is in perfect shape and will last at least several years.

Use that money towards not a new car but a used 2-3 yr old car or something older. A used car is going to be the better deal.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Disagree, if you get 0% it is much better than getting a 2 year old car

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Okay, so, discussion point.

Does she have any obligation to the dealer there's a mechanical problem when she trades it in?

Go.

Draft saved Draft deleted