1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 3rd SJ.Com Election Poll of 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2016.

?

As of today, which side gets your vote?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2016.
  1. Trump-Pence

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Clinton-Kaine

54 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Neither/third party

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You don't respect anyone right of Stalin, so color me unshocked.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's referring to Jill Stein, as well.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There are only two candidates with a chance It would be dumb to make a "statement" vote when there's so much at stake snd this much difference between the two candidates.

People making "statement" votes for Ralph Nader was high among the reasons George W. Bush was elected. Those people made a dumb decision.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But the Johnson voters realize they are actually voting for Hillary, while also sending a message about the direction they want the party to go.

Hokie_pokie and JackReacher like this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't view it as a statement vote. I see it as a simple act of conscience.
    If practical outcomes always outweigh beliefs, then there is no longer a place for beliefs.

However, from a practical standpoint, I live in a overwhelmingly Democratic state. Clinton will win my state whether I vote for her or vote for Trump.
    The fact that they are very different doesn't change my loathing for both of them, and since she will get my state's electoral votes either way, I am free, from a practical standpoint, to vote my conscience.
    My conscience has me choosing between leaving it blank and Libertarian.

6. cranberry

They're casting a partial vote for HRC. That's true. But if there were so many Republicans who wanted to take the party in a more libertarian direction, how come Rand Paul didn't do better?

7. cranberry

Who said always?

Sounds like making a statement to me.

I will take a step back and concede that it matters little in a states that are not up for grabs.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So please tell me when I can and cannot vote for the candidate that I most strongly believe in. You stance is so stunningly stupid and anti-democratic that I cannot fully comprehend it.

old_tony and cjericho like this.
  9. cranberry

I explained this to you before. You can vote for whomever you'd like. Just don't expect me not to think or say that you made a dumbass decision. It's not anti-Demcratic; it's me thinking you're not particularly bright.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It is anti-democratic because you have some absurd belief that only two parties should exist, that the binary choice is the only thing that matters, which perpetuates the two party system. Do I think it will change in my lifetime? No. But I would never criticize a person for not voting D or R.

Lugnuts and I Should Coco like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just Glad, I've argued many times on here in favor of Green Party candidates/votes. It's not a wasted vote if you believe in what the third party/candidate stands for. As Buck was saying, the lesser of two evils is still evil ...

If Hillary somehow loses to Trump in this election, the blame lies in her faults as a candidate/leader. Not with third-party voters.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And cran, I live in Idaho ... and if my vote prevents Hillary from winning this state, Trump will lose in a landslide!

Draft saved Draft deleted