1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 3rd SJ.Com Election Poll of 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2016.

?

As of today, which side gets your vote?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2016.
  1. Trump-Pence

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Clinton-Kaine

54 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Neither/third party

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are you on Twitter? @OldTakesExposed would absolutely LOVE you!

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The only people I know who support Trump are so politically disengaged they're not even registered to vote.

I don't think that's a coincidence.

cranberry likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Spent four days in Vancouver, B.C., last week, and after saying where I was from, several Canadians asked me about Trump (carefully ... in case I was a fan, which I'm not). I think they were fascinated by him being a serious presidential candidate, in a look-at-that-train-wreck kind of way.

Then again, a couple days after I left, the Canadian PM marched in a gay pride parade in Vancouver. No wonder GOP politics are tough for Canada to understand!

HC and Lugnuts like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You can vote for WOMBAT. That's what I am going to do.

BTW, WOMBAT stands for Waste Of Money, Brains And Time

All of DC and the two parties, described in one acronym. WOMBAT

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's a two-term United States Senator and former Secretary of State. Everyone who actually knows her seems to love her.

The fact that there are articulate human beings who still think these are equivalents blows my mind. Every time. I never get used to it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've seen a surprising number of friends who typically avoid politics declare for Gary Johnson recently. I don't think he'll push 20 percent by any means, or even 10. But he does seem to offer an outlet for Republicans embarrassed by Trump and too proud (or, to be fair, too disgusted) to vote Clinton.

Many others I know — friends, family — from a deep red state, will vote Trump. I do believe they'd have been open to voting for a Democrat as opposed to Trump, but Clinton is not that Democrat. I'll vote Clinton and will urge them to, as well, but it's tough to win with an argument that amounts to "I think he's worse."

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

CT will be a Hillary state but with only 7 electoral votes it's inconsequential.
    Majority of state will vote democrat with exception of "gold coast" part of state
    which traditionally votes Republican. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out
    this year with Greenwich being the original home of The Bush Family. Those who reamain with
    their Episcopalian lilt and country club manners are aghast at The Donald but can't
    see them voting Hillary. Maybe they will follow lead of Jeb and not vote at all.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have about three months to decide if I'm going to leave it blank or vote for Johnson.

Lugnuts and ChrisLong like this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the women at the wedding I attended did a lot of work with Hillary when HC was Sec. of State. RAVED about her. RAVED. Said people scoffed at Obama's more qualified than anyone line, but it is pretty close to spot on.

The few people I know who are voting for Trump are, well, a little off. I know a lot more who won't vote for Hillary but also won't vote for Trump. I have no clue what to think about who will actually win.

Dick's final line in the quote above is, to me, spot on.

Deskgrunt50 and cranberry like this.
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One needs to ignore racism, religious bigotry and sexism (not to mention ignorance about all key issues) to support Donald Trump, so it amuses me when people who don't consider themselves any of those things twist themselves into knots trying to rationalize/justify their plans to vote for the guy.

SFIND likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Spent the week in a deep red state. It'll go Trump for sure. Was shocked most people I talked to said they won't vote for Trump. Obviously anecdotal and a small sample size. But it goes along with the polling that indicates he's losing among the college educated.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Voting Democrat for the first time in my life for President. As close as Trump/Clinton are in the polls here, she needs all the votes she can get. I may consider Johnson if she was far ahead here, but that's never going to be a factor.

Will vote Republican on probably all down tickets, especially the Senate race between Portman and the empty box that is Ted Strictland. I've donated a little to Portman's campaign and probably will again in the fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted