1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 3rd SJ.Com Election Poll of 2016

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2016.

?

As of today, which side gets your vote?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2016.
  1. Trump-Pence

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Clinton-Kaine

54 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Neither/third party

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Curious if this will be as one-sided as I think. Spent the weekend at a wedding in a key swing state and it led to some interesting conversations.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If they're anything like the conversations I've had this weekend in my swing state, the best hope to avoid a Trump presidency is for the center-right to stay home. In a high-turnout election, Trump wins. The right-leaning people to whom I've spoken aren't flipping to Clinton; they're just gonna sit this one out -- which might bode poorly for down-ballot Republicans.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Many of the right-leaning folks I've spoken to in my swing state the last few days have said they'll hold their nose and vote Clinton, but are also beginning to give serious thought to voting for Gary Johnson.

Isn't that the danger of anecdotes? They're not a representative sample.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not only will I not vote for Trump-Pence, I will not vote Republican in any race.

I had voted for just about every Republican at the local level since I turned 18.

heyabbott and Hokie_pokie like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Between the bright red state I live in and the bright red state next door where most of my family lives, I know of no regular conservatives who will vote for Clinton. A few will go third party and a few will skip the race, if not the whole election, but "Lock her up" sentiment is too strong down here for any significant defections.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

#NeverTrump #NeverHillary #NeverLoony3rdParty

Will vote in all the other down-ballot races, though, especially locals. That's where the real change occurs. Probably a mix of R & D candidates.

I have a bone to pick with several local pols about them handing out taxpayer money left and right to people who don't need it.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Definitely in the center/right category but likely going with Gary Johnson (and voting R down the ballot).

Then, if Trump loses, I join a chorus immediately demanding Reince Priebus's resignation. :)

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Almost fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw this one:

why-choose-the-left-nut-ior-the-right-nut-when-3167655.png

expendable, steveu and Hokie_pokie like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anecdotally, a lot of my educated conservative friends seem to be going with Gary Johnson.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I live in a bright blue state - all HRC here, although we've got some really annoying Bernie Bros, who won't let it go.

I have family in SC - Mom will hold nose/HRC, Dad is debating between Trump and Johnson, but it's a red state, so who cares.

In-laws live in NC. Mom-in-law, who has never voted Democrat, will not cast for president. Republican sister-in-law will not vote for Trump, but that's all she'll say.

Friends in Georgia, where I grew up: Support on Facebook for Trump is not like it was for McCain and Romney.

I mentioned awhile back that I recently had dinner with 2 friends from college-- both Republicans.

#1 is a multi millionaire hedge fund guy, who is Republican, Jewish and believes in fracking.

#2 is a lifelong Republican working on Wall Street, Catholic and concerned about his job being taken by a robot.

#1 said he would never vote for Trump, and will cast for HRC. #2 said he would never vote HRC and will cast for Trump.

Incidentally, much of the evening was spent listening to #2 ask #1 for a job.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm trying to count the people I personally know who are voting for Trump. I'm at 3, possibly 5.

12. I am pretty convinced we're going to be saying President Trump.
    I'm in a solidly BLUE state. I have relatives in rural Pennsylvania, they are voting Trump. NO One is voting for Clinton.
    If Johnson gets more than 20 percent of the vote, I'll be stunned. I can't see him getting votes from Republicans. A third party only hurts Clinton, IMO.

And it really can't be said enough: These two fuck sticks are the leading choices for Presidency of the United State of America?

I can't stand Clinton. Her only redeeming quality in this election is that she's not Donald Trump, and that's not enough for me to vote for her.
    As others have stated... I may leave the president boxes unchecked.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted