1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We’re kicking it off now? Yes. Yes, we are.

Because the 2022 Rolex 24 at Daytona field is out, and not only is it full at 60 teams (up from 49 in 2021) but the new GT Daytona Pro class has more than twice the GT3 entries than the GT Le Mans class it replaces, and the original GT Daytona pro-am class’s entry list is also up. There’s a waiting list for entries in case any of those 60 teams drop out for some reason. LMP2 has 10 cars (more than DPi’s 7) and LMP3 comes in with 8 cars.

https://racer.com/2021/12/20/rolex-24-entry-list-fills-to-capacity/

So, yeah … green flag for next year’s thread.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hate ampersands in general but the one on thread titles on this site can DIAF ASAP!!!

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

Blame Microsoft. The typeface is Trebuchet.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

24-hour racing is about like 500-mile NASCAR races in that they are pointless in this day and age. In years past, they were tests of and showcases for equipment. Now, the cars rarely just give up the ghost.

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

And that makes it even more enjoyable.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This sounds so like my wife. She did QC on book publishing, typesetting, and copy editing for many years, and stuff like this can make her crazy very quickly.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Nope. That’s part of racing. I’m perfectly fine with someone lapping the field, too.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NASCAR conflates close racing with what the fans call good racing. The fans don’t care about seeing close racing every week. Guys were regularly finishing a lap up on the competition in the “good ol’ days.”

Driftwood likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just like everything else, I hate what the Frances have done to the flow of the 24 Hours. Full-course cautions with lead lap cars pitting, and then everyone down a lap or more gets an entire lap back while they dilly-dally and pack up the field for the restarts.

"Hey, look! There are seven Prototypes within five seconds on the lead lap with 10 minutes to go!"

I'm stunned and shocked they haven't chopped the damn thing up into six "stage races."

At least the idea of an actual commonality to allow North American and European sports cars to race against each other is a huge step in the right direction.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Heck, Cale once lapped the field at Bristol… freakin Bristol.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted