1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2021 Running NASCAR/IMSA/other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Let's see if all these people who were clamoring for more road courses actually watch and buy tickets (if they're allowed this year). Looking at you, Brickyard 400.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Those guys were the next tier up!
    My wife actually played softball with McDuffie's daughter at Louisburg.... said she always had a nice Monte Carlo.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What happened to Roush Racing? They used to be one of the "superteams" and now they're just a mid-pack group. Figured with the Fenway money they'd be better, but they've been on a long decline.

4. Driftwood

There have always been the haves and have nots in NASCAR.
    In 2020, 5 drivers won 28 races; 8 won 1 each.
    In 2019, it was 7x30; 5x1
    In 2018, 7x31; 5x1
    In 1990, 6x21; 8x1
    In 1985, 6x25, 3x1
    In 1980, 8x29; 2x1

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That period in the twenty-oughts when the PTB at Roush Racing were more interested in drivers who could master sponsor engagement than in drivers who could master race cars has left a long shadow.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Roush could have signed Chase Briscoe or Ross Chastain (did have him for a couple races, I suppose) or Allmendinger or any of those younger guys.

What’s happened at Childress is worse IMO. Dillon got into the playoffs but otherwise, I feel like they’re a non-entity, particularly since Harvick left. I don’t recall them blowing up a lot, so I doubt the Chevy common engine is gonna help much.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Liverpool is John Henry’s current obsession. I guess he’s still involved with iRacing, too. He could not care less about NASCAR or the Red Sox (or The Boston Globe, for that matter).

8. Driftwood

Not a fan. This should be something to get people fired up about the season, and I was literally asleep by the third lap.

wicked likes this.
  9. Driftwood

I guess I don't begrudge NASCAR for trying something new, but to channel my inner Lou Brown: "Nice race. Don't ever fuckin' do it again."

Part of enjoying watching Daytona events in February is seeing the sunshine and palm trees as a reality break from it being nasty winter, not watching a night race.

playthrough likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Then you misse a fantastic finish.

Too long, though. Should’ve been 20 laps, with no fuel stop.

11. Driftwood

No, I stuck with it until the end. The finish was fun.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted