1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2021 Running NASCAR/IMSA/other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

RacinToday.com was the site I was trying to remember.
    When it first started, guys like Woody, Mike Harris, Rick Minter all wrote for it. I don't think the site is as stacked these days.

maumann likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember when a racing writer friend was thinking out loud on Facebook to friends on whether he should take the Gluck route and start a Patreon to fund his vanishing motorsports coverage. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Gluck was a true one-off, having such a strong base from Twitter and all and just working like hell. Then of course he parlayed that into The Athletic, where I have no doubt that he's brought in plenty of subscribers. Much respect -- and can't imagine many more like him in the pipeline.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    swingline, Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Twenty years ago, in all its reverse type glory. Some of us alumni are planning to Facebook chat on the 14th, to remember the day every manager was in Daytona (including a drunken managing editor) while two rookies tried to update the website from Atlanta. Me? I had just been canned by Quokka and was at the ESA, watching the Hurricanes. I wouldn't realize the disaster that awaited me until the end of March.

Thank you, Wayback Machine! Don't forget to use your Keyword: NASCAR!

NASCAR.com

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

He wasn't the only one, but I've always felt Monte Dutton got the royal shaft.

5. maumann

Even Jenna doesn't make half the races, I don't believe. I know AP has in the past left the South Carolina and Virginia races to the state writers. I don't know if they even send her west any more.

Liut likes this.
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Cross Charlotte off that list ... they quit doing any major traveling a couple years ago ...

Liut and maumann like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. McClatchy didn't deem it worthy and continued to excessively hamstring the editors, who fully understood how critical its motorsports coverage was to that readership.

Jenna is trying to do more IndyCar. Dan Gelston does quite a bit of what Jenna doesn't do, though Hank Kurz in Virginia and Steve Reed in North Carolina are chipping in more to help give AP something besides NASCAR with motorsports.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

Pete Iacobelli normally handles Darlington, too.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And to give Jenna weekends to cover other things (normally she’d be at the Rolex 24, and she usually covers the other big IMSA events along with the major IndyCar races) … and honestly, just to give the woman a rare weekend off.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Make that “Antonio Garcia tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time.”

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was watching live racing at 2 fuckin' A.M. Central time last night. I'm not that into sports cars, but sporting events in the middle of the night are fun, even more so when it's not just a time zone thing.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

Every NASCAR beat writer on Twitter is reporting that JGR announced a contract extension with Denny Hamlin and FedEx. Hamlin’s current deal was set to expire after this season.

Silly Season ain’t what it used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted