1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2021 Running NASCAR/IMSA/other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Considering McDowell was 80-1, I'd put that exacta at about 2,500-1.

maumann likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's only What A Fool Believes (and yes, that's The Doobie Brothers, but too many incorrectly attribute this to Mr. McDonald).

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As long as he races, Love’s Travel Stops will be there to sponsor him. That guaranteed money will get him a ride as long as he wants one.

maumann likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Updating this with signs of life:

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I haven't looked closely at a Cup car in years. I only count SEVEN contingency award decals. Three B post sponsors and PPG(?) as a secondary?

Compare that to this back in the heyday.

[​IMG]

garrow and Driftwood like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought the RTA had a plan to slide up the numbers and then sell the newly available space toward the back? The cars do look weird without the contingency stickers there.

maumann likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I like the “NASCAR Race Car” decal where the right rear view mirror would be. Just so you don’t get it confused with the hauler or the wife’s minivan.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I watched the tail-end of the race yesterday (damn golf tourney didn't record) and I have to add to the chorus of praise for Clint Bower...he's like watching a race with a mix of DW in his prime and Gronk.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the "NASCAR Race Truck" decal, lest you thought that Silverado was for fetching mulch.

maumann, Batman and wicked like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think it comes and goes. Rusty didn't have that many (Penske didn't need them, I guess), or the person prepping the car was really anal about placement.

Even in the best of days, contingency sponsors are what keeps NHRA teams afloat. A race winner might double the win money with the right extra stickers.

maumann likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought the contingency sponsors were across the board for the entire series.

Except the booze ones the Pettys didn't run.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is a parking lot of a mini-mall a couple miles from my house that almost always has parked there an amazingly detailed replica of Terry Labonte's old number 5 Kellogg's Chevrolet. Many many stickers of that period's sponsors, the whole bit. I know this isn't the case, but I like to think that when Terry retired, they him drive it home.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted